Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:38 pm 
recent arrival

We are Fran & Nanette McHugh, an older married couple with an empty nest, but a full garage.
We are long time road cyclists, having abandoned MTBs for a longer less painful life.

We have been paddling a Sea Eagle FT 185 as a tandem for a couple of years, but wanted to go faster and in separate (but equal) boats. We have limited space available and don't relish lifting solid kayaks to and from a roof rack, hence the Sea Eagle. We settled on the Oru models, Beach for me and Bay+ for her. My size and inflexibility made the choice for me. We picked,them up Friday night at REI and lad our first 3 hr. Paddle around Lake Pleasant Saturday morning. Lots more fun than the Sea Eagle tandem. For one thing, we can paddle side by side and see and talk to each other. (After 40 years we still do that.)

We are currently exploring the lakes around Phoenix, including Lake Pleasant and Roosevelt. We have a lot to learn, now that we aren't dictated to and limited by the very forgiving aircraft carrier. High on the list is entering and exiting from the shore. It isn't too tricky at a dock, but especially getting into the smaller cockpit of the Bay without scraping shins on the brace has so far eluded my bride.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:58 am 
forum fanatic

Welcome to the group. Re. scraped shins, I'm not familiar with your boat but have had several with that problem over the years. My solution, depending on the size of the boat, was either a pool noodle or foam pipe wrap slit lengthwise and secured on the frame with tie wraps or duct tape. Earl