Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:12 pm 
I have been lurking this site for quite awhile and have learned a lot. Thanks to all for your knowledge and the willingness to spread the story of folding kayaks.
I recently sold my 70# plastic boat and purchased a 2003 Feathercraft Big Kahuna. I love the water again! Having to lift a 70# boat was getting to be a little too much for this 55 year old.
I have paddled quiet rivers, reservoirs, Lake Erie and the highlight of my life, Southeast Alaska.
I hope some of you will offer your thoughts about greenland or innuit style paddles versus euro paddles. I currently use a cheap rec boat euro paddle and would like to upgrade.
Thanks again for helping me make an easy boat choice. I look forward to being a part of this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:37 pm 
Welcome; I know what you mean. Kahuna at 43-45 lbs including seasock and rudder feels like nothing on the shoulder, compared to even relatively light 55 lbs hardsehll low volume sea kayaks. You should definitely try FC Klatwa 2-piece Greenland paddle. I find it to be much easier on joints, though my speed is lower than with normal "Euro" paddle. I've covered the last 2 inches of tips with epoxy (should've done it earlier), and twice a season impregnate the wood with Deftoil (Exterior Wood Finish). Another problem (besides lower speed) is that hands are wet most of the time. Drip rings can't be used with a GP. I'm using REI Warmers gloves (warm, not dry), and don't paddle in very cold weather. For colder air or colder water dry gloves are needed, like these: http://www.nordic-blue.com/butik/shop.asp

GP technique is also different from Euro, but easy to master. There are dosens of GP forums, and you might hear that there is only one technique - a good one, and what is good for Euro, will be good for a GP and vice versa, etc, bla-bla... No. Insertion point is at your knees (not at your feet), and torso rotation is more pronounced. Here is one link where all the GP basics are covered on one page - grip, forward stroke, turning: http://seacanoe.org/tomnotes.htm#Greenland%20Paddling .

Post subject: Check out Beale
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:20 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

http://www.bealepaddles.com Cheaper than a Klatwa and custom made for you and your boat.

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:37 am 
Don Beale is a very knowledgeable person, I remember his articles on paddling forums; and having a GP that corresponds to your boat and height is important (Klatwa paddles are all of the same length). But Beale's is not cheaper - $255 Klatwa is made of spruce with ash inserts, and similar product by Beale is called "laminated" and costs $295. Beale's single-wood paddle costs less, though. And Beale's are not 2-piece (which is actually better, IF you don't travel or fly with your kayak). Klatwa, btw, aren't designed or manufactured by Feathercraft. They are made for FC by some local craftsman.

PS: boat width is very important when using a GP - with wide boat GP just becomes ineffective and there is no way to make it work well with, say, 30" boat. I feel that 25" Kahuna is already a little bit wide and doesn't allow to utilize the full efficiency of Klatwa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:21 pm 
I'm in the process of moving to a greenland paddle. I've used my Klatwa so far on only two paddles, so obviously I can only offer you a beginner's perspective.

Right now I'm slower with the gp, but that's to be expected. It didn't take long to get a basic stroke going, but it doesn't feel natural yet. I definitely find it easier on the body. Even though the inefficient stroke means I'm working harder, at the end of the paddle there's less aches and I have more stength left. For that reason alone I love it.

But basically I have to learn every stroke over again, which will be interesting.

Nohoval

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:32 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

The solid is lighter than than a Klatwa. The Klatwa is a pretty poor design... too long for most paddlers and the loom is too narrow for most production glass boats, let alone folders. I have owned both. Beale makes a far superior paddle.

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth