Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:16 am 
forum fan

This is Chris from Philadelphia.
I have been using folding kayaks since I was around 4. This was in Germany (West back then). The first boat I was in was a blue Pouch RZ85, I still remember how I slept in the front under the deck with the peculiar sounds the water made and the strange smell of the fabric material. While growing up the blue deck of the Pouch deteriorated and the plywood started to fall apart. Later we got a green RZ85 with the heart-shaped seats which was older but better quality, these were quite rare in the West at this time. I used this one till a few years ago whenever I returned to Germany and found time.
Coming to the US I looked to continue to be out on the water and first got a Prijon Taifun (an old-style whitewater kayak) but I wanted a tandem for the new family. We first got a Sevylor pointer K2 about 4 years ago and shortly after a Advanced elements convertible with the backbone that was licensed by West Marine. The Sevylor went to Germany but when we set it up this year it blew 2 of the PVC outer hull seems and was done for, really not the best quality, we used it about 5 times. I like the AE convertible but still miss the old times in a wood-framed folding kayak. I just found a not to expensive Folbot (probably a Super) on eBay, and now wait for its arrival.