Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:36 am 
recent arrival

Hi there,

I'm Ivan from Catalonia, Spain. I own several Advanced Elements kayaks, the latest one an Airfusion elite, which is the one I use the most. I'm currently looking for a folding kayak at a reasonable price, since I've had some issues with the airfusion due to pinholes on the main chambers. The options I have in mind are the Trak Seeker, the Nortik Argo and the oru Kayak coast.

I'm looking for a sea kayak, preferably from Europe, to avoid having to pay duties for buying outside the Euro zone. I like to go out for 30-40km trips (20-25miles), and I would like a kayak that I could take on multi-day trips.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:44 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Hi Ivan,
Welcome to the forum. There are a few of us from Europe here, and it's worth seeing if someone can recommend a boat. But the best place for finding second hand folders may well be Germany. That's probably the biggest market for folding kayaks in Europe. Try searching ebay.de (German ebay) for 'faltboot' or one of the resellers there (Patcool.com does parts). Then of course there are Nautiraids in France and Waylands in Poland.

Folders show up on ebay here in England occasionally, too. It might help if you define what you think of as 'a reasonable price', as different folks have different budgets and definitions of 'reasonable'.

Let us know what you eventually get.
Ian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:40 am 
recent arrival

Thanks for the response, Ian

When I say a reasonable price, I mean around 2.000€, being 2.500€ the maximum I would like to spend. With that budget the nortik Argo seems the more appropiate choice, although I've only read one review of the boat (and was mainly good). The Trak Seeker is very appealing as well, but it would take all my budget and is shorter than the Argo. Plus, I don't know if it's the case with the Argo, but I could see a Trak Seeker in person and the skin didn't seem very tough to me. Could be just my impression, I don't know.

Anyway, I'll follow your advice and check ebay.de to see what shows up, because the airfusion elite has left me a bittersweet feeling.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:55 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Grian on this forum (and from Scotland) had an Argo and thought highly of it, I think. Mick Robb of Australia's Flat Earth sales imports the Nortiks. I've not seen them myself, nor the Trak seeker, but they are both very interesting boats. Hopefully someone with more direct experience of them will be along soon.