Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: introduction
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:31 pm 
recent arrival

Hello Im steve.

I've initially had trouble logging in and also viewing the wayland forum. But all good now.

I've been wanting to buy a klepper for some time now, to sea kayak/ multi day camping in rough water basically. And also I am a nut on UK special forces history, training and kayaking. Fancied the quattro expedition, but seems a bit too expensive, started looking at the wayland amazon quattro, but got put off by the comments on this site. And now I am looking at the longhaul Mk ii.

Still researching how easy these things are to dry out in winter and if you pack them wet for 1 or 2 days for say, air travel for example, would it hurt them? Also if my payload is two people + 40 kilos, would I need a Quattro? Maybe I could just get a old aerius 2 and fit a rudder, some sponsoons, new skin, all adds up !

These are just thoughts running around my head. I am sure I can find the answers myself by rummaging around.

Thanks for having me here, its usefull as hell in making a decision to part with my cash.

regards
steve

Post subject: Re: introduction
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:50 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Welcome Steve, sounds like you are ready for some adventure. Yes, stay away from Wayland, by all accounts they will just bring you headaches. The Longhaul is a heck of a kayak, look at posts from Dlee and DoiNomazi, they both have significant experience and positive regard for those kayaks. Problem is that they do not come up often, if at all, on the used markets. Same goes for a Klepper quattro, they are just too rare. As for payload you need to check the specs but I think the A2 can safely handle 700+ pounds so that should be no problem. That said, if you need serious capacity, the quattro adds about 125 pounds to the A2 load limit. These are all conservative estimates, the actual specs listed by Klepper are even higher, but I would stay this side of their numbers.

Best,
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:26 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Contact Long Haul directly and let him know what you are looking for. Mark often has sales or used boats. My stalwart is a Klepper with a LH hull which I bought from Mark in 2002. I had him recondition the hull in 2010-- it's still in like-new condition, today.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:53 am 

Kleppers are becoming dirt cheap in the US. Look at Craigslist in major cities. I am guessing you are in the UK. Might be worth a flight over to purchase one. Don't rule out Nautiraid either.

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:34 am 
recent arrival

Hi guys, Thanks for all the advice ! I will definitely look into these options

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:47 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Kleppers and other German folders are also very good second hand value in Germany. Ebay.de (search faltboot) can be a good way to find them. On the other hand it is less handy for checking the skin condition before buying. Bear in mind that until Brexit you won't pay customs on shipping stuff from Europe to the EU, whereas from North America you might. (Though obviously if you're flying with the boat then I don't see how customs will know that you didn't fly out with it. And sounds like a great excuse for a visit to the US.)
Where in the UK are you?
All the best,
Ian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:50 pm 

Klepper doubles, generally speaking, are too heavy and large to fly with, at least without paying oversize fees.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:24 am 
recent arrival

Hi, My name is Tony from county Wicklow on the east coast of Ireland.

I have recently acquired a Klepper Aerius II which looks like it may date back to 1957. All bits present including original instructions.

I happened across this forum in my quest for information and advice on recommissioning her.