Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from Oregon Coast
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:19 pm 
recent arrival

Thank you for the add!

Have wanted a folding Kayak for most of my life but have never been in one. Have had various canoes over the years, starting with an aluminum Grumman decades ago. Brings a smile thinking about that boat, did not do anything particularly well but was strong as all get out.

In the market for a used tandem folding kayak to carry with us when we travel with our PU/truck camper. With all of the things on the roof of the camper, vents, sky light, solar panel, escape hatch, it makes no sense to try and put a boat on top of it. As well as being 11 feet plus off of the ground and I just plain and simple to not like getting up there when it is loaded on the PU. Not as young as I once was.

I look forward to learning more about what boats are out there. I was not even aware their were more manufacturers than Folbot (granted there are issues there) and Klepper until last evening having done zero research on the subject in a very long time.

Hope to learn a lot and hopefully contribute something in the process,
Les
Central Oregon Coast

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:40 pm 
paddler

Hello from Oregon Coast we too currently live in Southern Oregon.

We found our first folding kayak, which was a Kleeper. Got it on Craig's list for 500 and it has been just fine for fiddling around. However we get in the ocean, plenty so we upgraded the hull to a Long Haul Mark II, which is the same body.
Had a accident in the ocean ending with a USCG rescue and they ran over my boat. So we then bought a new frame.

You could easily start with a used Kleeper and they are out there. Many folks find them in attics of homes they are cleaning out for a variety of reasons. They list them on craigslist without much knowledge of their history, so it can be a toss of the dice... If they are reputable they will allow you to assemble it and take it out on a brief paddle.

Best of luck
Kim