Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:54 am 
Word on the water is tsunamichuck, the five fingered spokesmodel for Feathercraft has not only dissed a Feathercraft product, he actually purchased a Klepper! Has Chuck lost his mind? Has he suffered a degloving injury? Watch him beg and plead for leads on a new skin! Stay tuned. Same spamcop time, same spamcop channel for more news!

Post subject: Tis True
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:07 pm 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:04 pm 
Welcome to the dark side.

Ich wusste nicht dass ich ein Bruder hatte! :wink:

Andreas

Post subject: Thank you, Sir!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:25 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I decided to paddle today rather than play with Klepper. I am planning to assemble next week and really get a good look at the skin. It may be salvageable. If not I will look for a used skin or buy the material and have it sewn in China or try and make one myself. Should be a fun project. Hopefully take it to Japan next year.
I put the paddle that came with it on ebay already, but if someone here wants it, it is yours for the cost of shipping.

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth

Post subject: Great Deal
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:32 am 
Hey Chuck,

Great deal on that boat. Congrats, Chris

Post subject: klepper-esque skin
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:53 am 
Congratulations on the new purchase! Sounds like a fun project.

You probably heard this bit of info already. Wayland makes Klepper replacement skins. From the reviews that I've read, they are both reasonably priced and are of decent quality.

Dmitry.

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:52 am 

I did not know Wayland made skins for Kleppers. I will definately keep it mind! Thanks againg Dmitry

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:09 pm 

welland do not make skins for klepper. they make a skin which will fit a klepper frame, and I expect a long haul frame ( two seaters ) they also make a skin which will fit a T6, and one for pouch . check their web site on pricing It,s all there, even sails like klepper S2(4) with a wood mast like klepper use to be, I think the sail is a bit smaller than the klepper S2.and you can order skins without the rear hatch and axe/shovel pockets. The canadian dealer in CALGARY might be slightly lower in cost than buying direct from wayland when duty, taxes and rate of exchange are added on.After september canadians can only buy through the dealer in CALGARY. is kommander klepper a higher rank than kaptain klepper, who will be de admiral klepper ?

Post subject: Naval Ranks
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:31 pm 

Kaptain is a grade higher than Kommander. Next up would be Kommodore Von Klepper. Thanks for the sailing links, but in order for me to keep skin on my tuchas.. I need to keep the costs low... or sell one of my boats.

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:06 pm 
John Allsop wrote:
kommander klepper a higher rank than kaptain klepper, who will be de admiral klepper ?

Funny, but when I chose this log on, I was reflecting on my reason for being a Faltbooter at all; it had to do with my grandfather buying a Klepper (and later importing them comercially) in the 30's. Later my dad acquired the one I grew up with, etc. Anyway Klepper Faltboote had become a multi-generational entity in my family. Klepper is a legitimate German surname and by adding "von" ahead of it, I was able to create a psudonym that sounds legitimate, suggests a German "Blue Blooded" multigenerational aspect, but can also merely have the simple double meaning "Captain of the Klepper" when combined with Kapitan. (Kapitan, I somehow misspelled in a multi-lingual haze :? :oops: )

But when
I wrote:
Ich wusste nicht dass ich ein Bruder hatte!
-I didn't know I had a brother! I cited the psudonym meaning, -which would be the general German understanding. A German meeting a Kommander von Klepper and a Kapitan von Klepper would assume the two were related and possibly the sons of a Baron or a Graf. If there were also an Admiral von, this person might assume that he was the father, etc. :)

-Andreas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:00 pm 

But I may be annoying with all kinds of questions. I think I will try and assemble the Klepper now. Hopefully I won't be posting as Bloody Fingers von Feathercraft :twisted: :wink:

Andreas, thanks for the quick lesson in German culture. Always thought you had a very cool handle!

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth

Last edited by tsunamichuck on Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Blood Smears
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:46 pm 
I've had four folding boats now, and each has drawn blood at some point. A bonding thing, I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:54 pm 

No blood drawn. The skin may be salvageable and the frame is pretty decent. The starboard coaming is a little rough and a couple of rubber pieces that hold the longerons in place are missing. Man that boat is huge! It is a bit strange having the seat back resting between my shoulders. Jun's initail resonse " It's ugly, get rid of it fast!" Talking about taking it to Japan, she seemed a bit more accepting of the "Big Blue Maru." Not sure if she would be willing to sell our hardshell double. Maybe after we try it on Tahoe. I will put a couple pics up.

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:42 am 
Off-topic alert.

john allsop wrote:
The canadian dealer in CALGARY might be slightly lower in cost than buying direct from wayland when duty, taxes and rate of exchange are added on.

I went through the numbers when I made my purchase, and in US, this was not so -- factory-direct was a few hundred bucks cheaper, even with shipping. Canadian dealer is a nice and responsive fellow, though.

Dmitry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:18 pm 
menedem wrote:
I went through the numbers when I made my purchase, and in US, this was not so -- factory-direct was a few hundred bucks cheaper, even with shipping. Canadian dealer is a nice and responsive fellow, though.

A brief glance over the Klepper.de pricelist and I've come to the conclusion that I could recoup the price of an airfare on major purchases straight from the factory if I were looking for a trip to Germany. :) There would probably still be import duty... :(

Blutigerfinger von Federkraft :wink: (Tsunami-san): So is "Blue Maru" the official christened name of your new boat? (Did she really say it was ugly?)
-Andreas