Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:40 pm 
recent arrival

Howdy from Oregon,

I just (yesterday) purchased a used Folbot Greenland II, with a Batwing 32. While we have several hard kayaks, this is our first folder. Overall, the kayak has been well cared for, with little sign of wear. When I tried to contact Folbot, I was a little disappointed to discover that they are no longer with us, but other than information, there isn't much I need.

We intend to use the Folbot for exploring the nooks and crannies of places like Lake Powell, where we cruise in the fall on a very small powerboat. Our big Necky tandem boat is too heavy and awkward for an old man to lift these days, and it certainly doesn't fit on the house top of a CDory.

The only issue I see with the boat is a very small nick in the exterior of the hull. My guess is that something like a neoprene cement would be an appropriate fix, but before I do that, I will ask for your recommendations. I don't believe there are any missing parts, but if you know of a source for some of the small things, it would be great to have a few spares.

Kind Regards,

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:16 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Congratulations on the new (to you) boat. I think you'll be pleased at having a much lighter craft to handle than the Necky. As I've gotten older my appreciation for folders increases for that reason.

As to patching, any folder owner should carry a patching kit, which generally contains strips of vinyl-coated and/or rubberized fabric as is used in the boat's construction, a tube of solvent glue and perhaps some surface cleaner. You can get the kits from various folder manufacturers or make do with the generic sports gear patching kits that camping goods shops stock. You can patch some "nicks" with AquaSeal (one of the wetsuit sealants you can get at dive shops and sometimes at sporting goods stores.)

Feathercraft sells the glues and sets of patching material. You should also invest in some Boeshield (which they also sell) and lubricate the kayak's frame connections each time you assemble it to prevent corrosion and welding the joints together (more of a problem with salt water than fresh but still a good habit to maintain every time you set the boat up.) I use the large spray can when I am setting up the boat at home in my yard, as in the first time in the season. I carry the small drop bottle with me with the patch kit for set up when I travel. It works well on keeping two and three-piece paddle joints from sticking too. Bike shops will tend to stock it if you don't want to order by mail. Here is the link to the Feathercraft repair kit components.

http://shop.feathercraft.com/collections/repair-parts

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:14 pm 
recent arrival

Hi KerryOn,

Thanks for the tips! Is anyone using 3M Aerospace Protectant for their hulls? I use it on the vinyl sides of my popup truck camper.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:01 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I use it on my plastic hard shell boat and on many other products that have a UV exposure during long transport (though, honestly, probably not enough to be significant). But I would not bother with it on my folder hulls since they are not exposed to UV in any great measure. Not that I think it would hurt, it just doesn't seem necessary. And it makes the surface oily for a while. Another thing that causes me to hold off on using 303 is that they don't reveal their formula. Some silicone and solvents can loosen glues. This was a problem back in the years that I worked in wilderness sports gear sales. There was a popular hiking boot waterproofing compound that contained a solvent that would cause the soles to delaminate when it penetrated and softened the glues in the layers. Most modern folder components are stitched and/or heat or sonic welded together, but an older one might have glued parts that could be compromised by solvents.

UV-caused deterioration to plastic boats or rubber things like vehicle tires occurs when they are stored outdoors uncovered for long periods of time or in garages where they will be subjected to high heat for extended periods.

I would warn you to be careful where you store it, set up or folded down. I know someone who hung his set-up folder from the ceiling of his living room over several winters. He heats with a wood burner in that room and the temperature at the ceiling level was very hot for months at a time. That constant heat weakened the elasticity in the bungee cords that linked the frame components (just like the elastic in your underwear eventually becomes stretched out and limp if you always but them in a hot dryer.)

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:23 am 
Site Admin

I've been using 303 for well over a decade. It has no silicones, and doesn't interfere with repairs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:53 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Scotch does not reveal their formulary for 303 and they only state that it "contains no harmful silicone oils". All their disclaimers that I have ever found are careful to be specific about "silicone OILS". Silicone comes in various forms including resins. The fact that they are so specific about that "oil" part suggests to me that there may be other types of polysiloxanes involved in their 303 products, particularly since the polymers are known to be UV resistant.

If I used my boats daily in strong sunlight conditions, I might use the stuff on them, but I truly don't feel that it's necessary.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:30 pm 
faltbootemeister

The general rule for Folbots is to not use 303 on the hull. Once treated, nothing will stick.
There is also a version of 303 for fabric, like awnings and such, that would work well to keep the deck color from fading. It's rare need a patch on the deck.