Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Intro from Japan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:57 am 
paddler

I remember when Michael created this website; I wasn't so far from him in SE Michigan at that time. Was previously on the Folbot forum as Hiroshima Drifter when I lived there. Drifted north to Tsugaru, Aomori Prefecture for 5 1/2 years and have been in Kyotango, Kyoto, for the last 3 1/2 years. I've never lived more than a mile from the ocean here, the Inland Sea in Hiroshima and the Sea of Japan since then. Crossed the Inland Sea from Hiroshima to Shikoku in an Aleut, very exciting dodging freighters, tankers, and car ferries. I have a Cooper and Aleut and will post how I painted the polyester decks with metallic fabric paint - might be useful since we can no longer obtain replacement skins. Is the Folbot section the best place to post?

Post subject: Re: Intro from Japan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:06 pm 
forum fanatic

Welcome to the forum! It's a quiet place this time of year, but will get busier soon. Paddling in the Sea of Japan! Wow! People here will be interested in reading more about your paddling experiences. A moderator may have another suggestion about where to post the photos, but perhaps for now I could suggest the "Folbot" section or the "Kayak repairs" section. I'm curious about the deck painting. Was its purpose to increase your visibility on busy waterways or was it to reinforce or brighten up a fading/deteriorating deck fabric?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:45 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

歓迎する 私は数年前から沖縄にカヤックした

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:57 pm 
paddler

tsunamichuckのことをよく覚えてるよ。Khatsに乗って沖縄から鹿児島まで漕いだと思います。一緒に津軽海峡を横断しようか。

I think I remember Tsunami Chuck's tale of paddling in a Khats from Okinawa all the way to Kagoshima or close to it - sounded like a real adventure. Are you up for crossing the Tsugaru Strait from Aomori to Hokkaido? If we miss Hokkaido, the next stop is Chile...

Brian D.

Folbot Aleut
Folbot Cooper
Necky Arluk III
(former) Folbot Super TSK
BSD Batwing 32
Kayaksailor Rig

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:17 am 
forum fanatic

Hey, there! I'm up in Tokyo. Many years ago I lived in Eta Jima, just off the coast of Kure and Hiroshima. I enjoyed many days paddling the Setonaikai. Since coming to Tokyo, I've paddled most of the rivers in the city. Some are surprisingly nice. Others.... not so much :lol:

Have you ever done that crossing to Hokkaido??? I'd love to try. Might be a bit dicey right now :)

Nautiraid Raid I 460
Feathercraft K-Light
Feathercraft Aironaut
-------------------

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:10 am 
paddler

Konta,

Enjoyed touring the war museum at the Eta Jima Naval Academy. There's also a poignant old movie, "Ah, Eta Jima" or something like that about its destruction during WWII. Vessels sunk at anchor because they had no fuel to move anywhere else.

The Setonaikai is hard to beat for kayak touring, island hopping from one friendly campsite to the next. I lived where the Ota River entered Hiroshima and began its division into six branches leading to Hiroshima Bay. I would paddle out one branch and return by another - after checking the tide table in the newspaper. I could paddle to Miyajima from there. For anyone visiting Hiroshima I recommend Paddle Park across from Miyajima for kayak rentals and Miyajima kayak tours. (http://www.paddlepark.com). Kubota-san is a very gracious host.

Haven't crossed Tsugaru Strait yet, my schedule was never right when I lived in Tsugaru. Somewhat terrifying, but that's what beckons us, and if people can swim it (one of the Ocean's Seven long-distance swims) we should be able to paddle it no sweat. Just have to pick the right day. If I can manage to get fired by summer and have the time, maybe this the year to finally do it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:14 pm 
paddler

martin2007,

I posted a description of refinishing the decks in the Folbot section: Painting Folbot Decks.

Both decks were badly faded and the Cooper deck discolored, and I knew from what happened to their covers that they would eventually lose their water repellency as well. Everyone gets lucky sometimes, and that was my turn as we can no longer order replacement skins.
---------
Brian D.
Folbot Indigo Aleut
Folbot True Gold Cooper
Necky Arluk III
BSD Batwing 32
Kayaksailor Rig