Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A belated hello
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:34 am 
Just read today's reminder to introduce oneself by Alex and as someone who has used this excellent forum many times (and grateful thanks to Mike) here goes.

I'm a newbie paddler (yes, stated again for what feels like the 15th time) and never been in a kayak before this year (any sort) and my only experience of being on the water was 30 years ago with the stability offered by 7 other guys and a cox when rowing. I've had a long experience of physical activity (both in sports and the performing arts). I'm now 60. Feel like 85. Look like 72. But passioinately try to fight against any negative attitude towards ageism that's constantly thrown to the public by the media. I believe it is never too late to try something new.

And I'll now step down from my soap box and say how happy I've been to get out on the water this year in my own boat. This has been made so much easier by all the advice offered by so many generous people here. Many, many thanks.

Post subject: a belated hello
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:16 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

nice to hear from the UK . old is 10 years older than your age or my age it takes a long time to reach our current ages. I have two klepper aerius 11s and I,m going to buy a single seater when I leave south west ontario and move to manitouwadge in northern ontario. It,s in the wilderness with lakes, rivers, and lake superior quite close. I,m 69 and I think age has a lot to do with state of mind. get out as much as you can, paddle at your pace. or sail, I also have sails for the kleppers. think young it makes a differance. I come from old trafford manchester. hope this from one pensioner will help the motivation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:21 pm 
Quote:
hope this from one pensioner will help the motivation.

Thanks, John. I'm injured at present but the motivation is high.

Rods