Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:48 pm 
paddler

Hi there,

I'm so grateful to have found this forum! I was recently introduced to the ORU, and with more research have discovered other folding kayaks, and now I'm thoroughly confused about what I should buy. As a new kayaker in a new city (Vancouver), I want to buy a product that I will be able to keep for many years to come and use in a number of different places/situations.

Cheers,
Kirsten

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

There are fewer options than there were just a couple of years ago, as Folbot and Canada's own Feathercraft have gone out of business. Klepper closed their workshop in Germany and now sells boats from Wayland. Still, there are very good boats available from Long Haul, Pakboats, Nautiraid, Trak, and others, and there are a good number of used boats out there, many of which can be maintained and repaired for a long time. What kind of use are you thinking of, what paddling conditions, and what budget?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:37 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Just in case you're not aware of it, Kirsten, there's an ORU kayak owners page on Facebook with various comments from owners about the product

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:23 pm 
paddler

mje wrote:
There are fewer options than there were just a couple of years ago, as Folbot and Canada's own Feathercraft have gone out of business. Klepper closed their workshop in Germany and now sells boats from Wayland. Still, there are very good boats available from Long Haul, Pakboats, Nautiraid, Trak, and others, and there are a good number of used boats out there, many of which can be maintained and repaired for a long time. What kind of use are you thinking of, what paddling conditions, and what budget?

Use: It's hard to say. Day to day I would probably be kayaking solo, sticking close to the shorelines, out for exercise and enjoyment. However, as a new kayaker, I have big dreams of heading out on multi-day kayak/camping trips with friends to places like BC's Broken Group Islands, etc.

Paddling conditions: Given my comment above, conditions will vary, but will mostly be relatively calm waters.

Budget: I'm not concerned as much about budget, but rather looking more for long-term value and versatility. I don't want budget to be a limiting factor in my research. I'd rather pay once for what I REALLY need rather than go through multiple buy and sells (and probably pay more in the long run b/c of it).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:26 pm 
paddler

siravingmon wrote:
Just in case you're not aware of it, Kirsten, there's an ORU kayak owners page on Facebook with various comments from owners about the product

Sweet!!! Thanks for the lead.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:07 am 
Site Admin

The Oru has gotten a lot of positive press from people impressed by its novelty and originality. As an engineering accomplishment, it's impressive. But keep in mind that it is not as easily repairable as a traditional folding boat, and has only a one year warranty. If the hull fails along or near a hinge, there's no clear way to make a permanent repair.

The frame-and-skin boats we mainly discuss here are easily repairable, and the better ones can last 30 or 40 years or more. Even those boats whose maker has been out of business for years can still be restored and repaired. My oldest boats are close to 20 years old and gong strong.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:54 am 
paddler

After my research of other boats I'm of the same opinion now. I am looking at the Trak seeker currently, both used and new. I'm leaning toward their 2.0 which will be officially announced soon. It's supposed to be 10 lbs lighter and the hydraulic jacks servicable in the field.

What I like about the Trak is its versatility. I also like supporting a Canadian company. ;-)