Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from Sheffield, UK
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:21 am 
forum fan

Hi There,

I'm Sophie. Totally new to kayaking, but love the opportunities a folding kayak presents especially when living in a shared house with limited space!

We have recently bought an old second hand Folbot Greenland II and plan to paddle from Narvik to Tromso in the summer. I bought the boat in Connecticut whilst visiting my sister and unfortunately in transit the plastic stern keel piece (I think this is what it is, sorry I am new to this!) has been broken into multiple pieces :shock:

So I'm hoping some of you amazingly knowledgeable people will be able to help me fix this in the limited time we have.

First off if anyone has one for sale please let me know.

I've not found any on ebay and since time is of the essence I was wondering if a replacement could be made. Could a 3D printed one do the trick? Worried it might not have the right properties, but not sure. My uncle offered to make me one in aluminium, could that work? Any other way to get a replacement made?

From having a look around the site it looks like we should be able to find a fix or solution but with our limited know-how and time we need all the help we can get so any help/advice will be very gratefully received.

So glad this treasure trove of info exists! Thank you!

Sophie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:57 am 
Site Admin

An aluminum piece would certainly work. You'd want to be careful to radius over any sharp edges, and drill holes for lightening. It would have to be of a sufficient thickness to fit well into the aluminum insert attached to the hull.

A wooden piece would be easier. I'd make it from 1/2" or 3/4" marine plywood or maybe Baltic Birch plywood and give it several coats of varnish or epoxy, or even fiberglassed over.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:10 am 
forum fan

Wow! Thank you. Don't know why we didn't think of wood!? Ok we'll see what we can do.

Thank you so much again.

Sophie