Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old Poster; New Name
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:52 pm 
forum fan

Back in 2012, I posted a bit about my then-new Advanced Elements Airfusion, under the name StrangeMagic. Left the Forum for a bit, couldn't remember my password (as usual) so I've rejoined as yellowboat. Five years on, my Airfusion remains almost good-as-new, as modified as described in those 2012 posts. It's my backup boat to my hardshell Epic 16X, and I use it on local smaller waterways, and am just as pleased with it now as I was then. I do wonder why Advanced Elements has not been given a slot up with the other manufacturers on the Forum, but is relegated to the kayak makers area, where it can be overlooked. Anyway, it's good to be back on the Forum where my friend and paddling partner Jake provides his usual thoughtful and helpful commentary.

Post subject: Re: Old Poster; New Name
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:32 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Welcome back!
Good to have another fan of the original Airfusion on the forum. Looking back at your old post about sprayskirt modifications, it's worth adding that if you use a (cheap lilo) pump on the coaming to inflate it just a little bit more, it actually works pretty well as a coaming - well enough to roll the kayak without a sprayskirt coming off.
The other mod that I've found worthwhile is adding 1mm thick polycarbonate sheet floors to the front and rear airbags (making sure you round all the corners and edges). This makes it a LOT easier to seat the airbags properly along the kayak floor as the polycarbonate sheets help locate the airbag floors under the lower side air tubess. This speeds up assembly time for me substantially and also results in a smoother hull shape.
Other than using aquaseal to plug leaky bow and stern mouldings, the only other thing I've noticed is that if used in rough conditions, good inflation of the side tubes is vital to stopping the keel tubes from bending at the joint (I've also fitted a snugger, slightly longer keel tube sleeve to help with this)

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

Post subject: Re: Old Poster; New Name
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:55 pm 
forum fan

Siravingmon, thanks for the welcome; it's good to be back! You are so right about the benefits of proper inflation (Firm!) for the Airfusion. It makes a big difference.