Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:24 pm 
Chris: That there is so much detail of Nylon in Calculus Affair, it stands to reason he actually did on-site research. I wonder if the same is true for Tintin in Tibet which has such wonderful detail of Katmandu Nepal + India?
There are 2 instances I can think of where Tintin and co use inflatables: The Mysterious Star and Flight 714. In Red Sea Sharks Tintin and co make a raft from the wreck of an Arab dow after it's attacked by Mosquito aircraft, -1950's artwork.

I'm showing my slip as a Tintin geek :oops: and I've managed somehow to hijack Willi's introduction and turn it into a Tintin fan page :? .

Willi: I've found it interesting that Blake and Mortimer debued in The Adventures of Tintin magazine in the 1946 and was initially more popular than Tintin/Tim due to Herge picking up a Tintin story line he had dropped during the war.
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake_and_Mortimer]Link:
Image[/url]
I've never had a chance to be introduced to this series. I'm curious what the kayaking connection you alluded to is.

For the record, my introduction to Tintin was in a popular children's magazine in Chile, my grandmother subscribed for us when I was small, in which Lake of Sharks was serialized. I didn't start collecting the albums/books until I was in Europe in the 80's, -hence the reason mine are all in German.

-Andreas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:20 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

No, the images in Tintin in Tibet were all from photographs. So were most of the other ex-Europe photos-- Herge didn't travel much. Tintin in Tibet was written while Herge was descending into his breakdown.

My parents taped a TV special on Herge which I watched while I was in the US, this Summer. A trove of interesting information.

It's funny functioning in French on a daily basis (although my French is much better than my Japanese!!). I'm shopping for a car in French, right now... ughh.

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:20 am 
Andreas: my introduction is really turning into a tintin fan forum, that is ok with my, i am a big fan of franco/belgum comix like tim&struppi or blake&mortimer (just ordered the latest two albums from amazon, folding kayaks are not involved in both comix, but both series have the same spirit and art), on the other hand, i have lots of time to read, since august 1st, i am on sickleave from work due to a bike accident and have not been in the cockpit of my kayak ever since.:cry:

Christjrn: it would be very interesting to read more about Herge, i did not know, that he had a breakdown, can you mail a link with more infos on his bibliography?

On the river danube, after a wet august and great indian summer in september, the golden days of october have arrived, early morning frost and warm afternoons, crystall clear skies and the leafs on the trees are changing the colours, gone are the pleasureboaters and waterskiers, my favorite time fo river paddling od the year, i cant wait to get into a kayak again.

servus from Linz

Willi :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:40 pm 
(Link ^)

Willi: I'm also a fan of Asterix und Obelix, and though some of the jokes are very deep for children, -especially the Latin ones,* I can't quite be as big of a fan as I am of Tim. When I first arrived in Europe as a child, I couldn't put Asterix down, -but then my German wasn't too well developed and it was easier to follow stories with lots of pictures :)

I can imagine Obelix having as much difficulty with folding kayaks as he had with Native American canoes in Die Grosseuberfahrt -they would probably sink with him on board as well :lol:

-Andreas

*The whole series is available in Latin :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:55 pm 

Hear hear! Asterix too!

Willi: sorry, but I don't know of a link for the Tintin stuff. My parents videotaped the show off of the US Public Broadcasting System (i.e. PBS). And the videotape is in NTSC, so it would even do you any good if I made a copy for you. My entire life is in disarray at the moment, but if you're coming through the Geneva (Genf) area after the next month or so, let me know and I'll see if we can arrange to have a viewing.

Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:38 pm 

I think Tim und Struppi DVD's are available on Amazon, -click above.

If we keep this up, Michael is going to wonder what all the comic characters have to do with kayaking :?
There really isn't any other posting location on this site for this subject. :lol:

-Andreas

Post subject: Asterix
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:14 pm 
Asterix, if he is the character in the winged helm pictured above, bears a binocular resemblance to the Hagen of legend, and thus may, depending on the prophetic utterances of water-nymphs or fairies, attempt to drown paddling partners.

C.

Just to clear things up - I've been reading and rereading Tin Tin books for years, and there are still some real bookstores in the U.S., not just the big chains. I used to spend quite a bit at j.b.kennedy's used bookstore in San Pedro, and later, Redondo Beach, California. Kennedy wrote some good poetry of his own, and had a "Devil's Dictionary" type regular column in San Pedro's alternative news paper, Random Lengths.

For those of you who don't know, Hagen was the one-eyed "hero" who tested the fairies prophecy of impending doom by attempting, with a paddle, if I recall correctly, to drown the company's priest who was traveling in Hagen's boat. The priest swam to the river bank and walked home, the rest of company proceeded to the halls of Attilla and perished. Hagen wore a winged helm, like Asterix.

Thus, the foregoing has at least some tenuous connection to paddling...

Last edited by Christov_Tenn on Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:37 pm 

Chris 2: you really need to get down to a bookstore (if there are any real ones left in the US...) and check out Asterix and Tintin. You're missing a world of enjoyment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:51 am 
Writing as someone who is fairly ignorant of Tintin - blasphamy, I know; but enjoying this colourful thread. The colours! The drawings!

May I suggest, with so many admirers on the water here, that Tintin is proclaimed: Patron Saint of this Site?

Only a suggestion. Don't want to step on any toes or muscle in, Michael.

Rods

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:00 am 
Site Admin

I am wondering what this has to do with paddling. Isn't this discussion off-topic?

I'm not one to insist on rules, but perhaps moving the discussion to email, off this folding kayak discussion group, would be in order.

When someone comes here looking for information on folding kayaks, and >90% of the content of a thread has no connection, he will wonder if it is worth coming back.

Said as a great admirer of Tin Tin and all literature pertaining thereto.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:53 pm 

It seems to me that Captain Haddock-- the adventuring mariner (and probably closer in age (and perhaps temperment...) to many of us)-- might be a better patron saint. Of course, someone already took that totem... 8)

Maybe we should create a "Belgian Comics" category for discussion threads (kidding! just kidding!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:41 pm 
Dave:

I'm sorry you're disappointed.

I agree you have a very valid point; However in the light that this is Willi's introduction thread, he doesn't mind and we've all become better introduced (i.e. I even know now that you're a Tintin fan :) ), I don't think this is especially off topic. I will of course defer to Michael's judgement.

If we had posted this thread in Folbot, Feathercraft or Camping and Expedition Equipment, I'd be more inclined to agree. I like the site to be tidy too of course and I do a fair amount of redirrecting myself here.

The topic got started on Herbert Rittlinger (A White Water hall of famer) whose books are sadly very rare in English, and then I mentioned casually that I used Tim und Struppi to keep my German maintained. Tintin, as you know was a very adventurous spirit and would have made a great folding kayaker. :)

Chris wrote:
someone already took that totem...
And I'm no saint! :roll:
Talk about merchandising! I'm sure the French and Belgians would get a kick out of a St. Tintin medal! :lol: Did anyone see the French postage stamp series?

But as far as kayaking patron saints are concerned I'm sure Rittlinger (not very saintly :wink: ) or Lindemann are slightly better candidates.

I shall now shut up on the saint subject and commence ducking the "Iron Fist of Admin" :wink:

-Andreas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:50 am 
Quote:
I am wondering what this has to do with paddling. Isn't this discussion off-topic?

Much as we sometimes may wish, it is never possible to control what people on forums write about, although it is possible to influence and guide them (which the creator of this site has, I think, and I'm sure most writers here would agree, achieved admirably).

Quote:
I'm not one to insist on rules, but perhaps moving the discussion to email, off this folding kayak discussion group, would be in order.

Well, this is Westcoastwill's introduction, and a look at the number of replies to his debut here (26 currently), show his thread has been, by far and away, the most popular in terms of writers wishing to contribute their own words to it. Should this seriously be banished to e-mail?

Quote:
When someone comes here looking for information on folding kayaks, and >90% of the content of a thread has no connection, he will wonder if it is worth coming back.

I don't think, but perhaps I'm wrong, that paddlers here (experienced, newbie and would be's alike) are writing mainly for the unseen online public but are writing to communicate with other enthusiasts on the subject. I'm pleased when someone replies to anything I've posted and I would think this is probably shared by most.

I don't think anyone interested in folding kayaks, on reading this thread, would wonder if the site is worth coming back to. But that is only my opinion. Someone else's may be different. But diversity makes life interesting, don't you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:34 am 
Site Admin

I'm not objecting to you guys having some fun, in this discussion of TinTin and related topics. I'm just wondering if it belongs on a folding kayak discussion forum.

Inasmuch as there are two primary posters (KvK: 9; ch: 7), with the orginator coming in at 5 posts, and four others at two or fewer, TinTin appears not to be a topic of wide interest among the folks who enjoy folding kayaks. Rather, it is of interest to few of the folks who post here.

West Coast Will is a paddler of some note, and except for his injury would be out there paddling up a storm. Here's hoping someone finds a TinTin book with him and the dog in a folding kayak! And, that Will heals soon and comes back out here to the West Coast.

Keep it up guys ... I'm out of here.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:28 pm 
Rods wrote:

Well, this is Westcoastwill's introduction, and a look at the number of replies to his debut here (26 currently), show his thread has been, by far and away, the most popular in terms of writers wishing to contribute their own words to it. Should this seriously be banished to e-mail?

Yes, but most of them are off the topic and are TinTin related.

And Rods again:

I don't think, but perhaps I'm wrong, that paddlers here (experienced, newbie and would be's alike) are writing mainly for the unseen online public but are writing to communicate with other enthusiasts on the subject. I'm pleased when someone replies to anything I've posted and I would think this is probably shared by most.

Rods, it is your subjective approach to otherwise splendid forum. Most people are here to communicate about their passion - folding kayaks. Some however drift off the topic for their own personal reasons. If I was into Tin Tin, I would Google that.

Here Rods' ideas about diversity:

I don't think anyone interested in folding kayaks, on reading this thread, would wonder if the site is worth coming back to. But that is only my opinion. Someone else's may be different. But diversity makes life interesting, don't you think?[/quote]

[b]But Rods, this forum is not about diversity in general, but diversity within folding kayak subject. Really big difference between the two.

Krudave bravely stepped in and rightly so. Perhaps moderator was away from his desk paddling for the last few days.

[/b]