Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Greetings from London
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:04 pm 
recent arrival

Hi everyone,

My name is Marko, from the other London (in Ontario). Interestingly, we do have a Thames River, but no Big Ben (on the other hand, the Brits won't have Big Ben for several years either).

I'm brand new to kayaking, but I've been canoe tripping for 25 years or so and own two canoes.

I became interested in folding boats from my friend Martin (who's on the forum). I decided to get the new PakBoats Quest (as a present for my son of course :D), it arrived a month ago and it's really nice. Last week, someone was selling a KayakSailor sail on Kijiji, so I picked that up as well. And so it goes!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers!
Marko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:23 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Doesn't that look like a winning combination!
:-)
I'm off to paddle my Wayland Harpoon across Poole Harbour today and round to Swanage. I'm hoping the rain will lift a little later in the day.
Safe paddles!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:00 am 
recent arrival

Sounds like a plan, maybe I can make it out to Poole Harbour as well. Wait a second... we don't have any harbours in London, Ontario... :?

M

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:03 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

:-D My mother's father's family hailed from Hamilton--not too far from you. And I first canoed out in Ontario. But no, I'm in the UK these days. It was a good paddle, though, even if it was a bit grey and very windy at the end. I'm very tempted by one of those Quests. They look like they make good light kayaks for travelling by plane and train.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:11 pm 
forum fan

Hi Neighbour.

Speaking of Hamilton, that is where I hail. I am the proud owner of a Puffin Sacco and a Quest 135, both by Pakboats. I too was a life long canoer and still own a 16' fiberglass. However, I am a convert, and only take the canoe when I'm facing fast water, like on the Grand River, or when I'm off with someone less paddle savvy, such as a recent trip to Owen Sound and Wasaga Beach where we paddled local rivers on day trips. My passion has been longer camp trips, ranging from wilderness jaunts in Killarney and Temagami - makes sense when portaging my 24lb. boats and dealing with winds and inclement weather. This summer I bought the second kayak so my 28 year old son and I could paddle from London (England) to Leeds on the canals. That was a big change of pace, quite different from my experiences on the Trent Severne and Rideau canals.
Geoff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:46 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I lived in Cambridge Ontario for number of years and paddled my Aerius 2 a number of times from Elora to Paris ( Elora to West Montrose is pretty shallow and rocky) I have also paddled from St Jacobs to Cambridge. For a better trip go from Walkerton (start below the dam) to the dam just before Southampton, this is the Saugeen river.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:16 pm 
recent arrival

Hey guys, nice to meet you!

Looking forward to getting out on the bigger lakes. Went back to Fanshawe Lake with the sail, it was a riot (and nobody went overboard).

Has anyone paddled/kayak sailed Lake Huron around the Pinery?

PS. Any tips regarding technique greatly appreciated!

Cheers
M