Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:12 am 
paddler

Hello Everyone,

My names is Ken and I am the prood owner of Klepper Aerius Quattro II and a T67. Actaully the T67 is more of renovation project than a working Kayak just at the moment but I am looking forward to bringing it back to life. I live in London but am planning to do some Sea (and River) Kakyaking along the south coast and in and out of the local waterways.

I have recently completed a UK RYA sailing course and plan to sail the Aerius along the coast perhaps to Hastings or maybe across the English channel to France.

I joined the forum to hear from other experiences and to support the folding community (and to keep an eye out for a Klepper Master).

Kind Regards Ken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:19 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Welcome from Cambridge, Ken,
There are a few UK members, and some elsewhere in Europe, but the majority of the forum are North American based.
Like you I've a couple of Kleppers needing some renovation and an old Tyne Prefect, which I reskinned a couple of years ago. I recently acquired a good second hand sail kit for my Klepper double, which I'm looking forward to using when the weather warms up -- though a key component is missing so I need to write to the manufacturer, Careen to see about a replacement part.
You might be interested in the Open Canoe Sailing Group, a UK-based group who sail canoes, open and kayaks. (They tend to say they are 'open' in accepting both decked and undecked canoes--in case that sounds odd to North American readers, in UK parlance the word canoe covers kayaks as well as open canoes.)
You might also find fellow paddlers in the Song of the Paddle community. There are a number of us there with old Tyne folding kayaks, several in Sussex and Kent, I think. The idea of a get-together of folder owners has been raised, but I don't think anyone has got round to organising one yet.
In any case, you'll find a wealth of knowledge on this forum, and I look forward to hearing more about your trips and how you get on with the renovations.
All the best
Ian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:10 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Ken, welcome from another Klepper owner, I have two Aerius 2s, a Folbot Yukon, a Triak, and a Hobie Tandem Islander, If I remember correct there are restrictions from the French on sailing a kayak across the channel so check if you should decide to make the crossing. A lot of people find the relatively narrow beam of a Klepper a bit tippy when compared to a sail boat. I use outriggers. Although you don,t actually say you have sails, yet, Many people do sail their Klepper very successfully without outriggers and no doubt with a little practise and gaining experience you will be ok, me I just like to be extra safe. If you want to paddle and sail in what I think is one of the best places in England, try the Scillies, There is camping on four of the islands, but only at the camp sites which can be fully booked in July and August. We don,t have a guest house but if any kayaker and family, maximum four, would like to stay at my place then send me an e-mail and I will see what we can do. I am normally full during August with family members.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:24 am 
paddler

Thanks idc

Thank you for the recommnedation to the "Song of the Paddle" and the "Open Canoe Sailing Group" both of the websites look good. I was particularly impressed with the account of the crossing of the English Channel.

I have also bought a second had sail kit (and brought it home on the tube) and seem to have a couple of extra pieces whcih I am not sure what they are for but I plan to rig and sail it under the watchfull eye of the instructors from a local Watersports centre (Rye Watersports - execellent facility) so I should be underway once the weather gets warmer.

Best wishes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:51 am 
paddler

Hi John,
Thank you for the welcome and the warning about the French restrictions. I thought I might do it as part of an annual sailing club expedition which I gather is a local event. However, I have more than a little practice to do before embarking on anything so ambitious.
I do have some sails but I have not tried them yet. I suspect I will be using outriggers as well before long. I will see how it goes.
Incidentally thank you for the kind invitation to your place in the Scillies sounds great but I will concentrate on getting out of Rye Harbour first before attempting real sea Kayaking.

Best wishes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:49 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

The biggest thing you have to keep going is, Enthusiasm, year after year, Many people get a folder and many other things.( exercise equipment being a big one ), and after a while don,t use them, So keep active and if possible try and be a member of a paddling group, one other enthusiast can keep us going. As regards the Channel crossing the sailing club will no doubt be able to tell you all you need to know about it. Note that many inland waters in the England are restricted as we might upset the fish, what a lot of nonsense, Our sailing section is often pretty active and if you need info there are some experienced people who will assist. Sails, if you have a klepper set you can get a furling device for the jib, (also used on dinghy,s), also you can sail using only the jib and later only using the main sail, when you feel ok both sails. You will find lakes more forgiving than the sea, But the sailing club is the way to go.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:37 pm 

"Song of the Paddle" is a great forum for connecting with other enthusiastic paddlers. I posted on there last Spring a couple of weeks before heading to Yorkshire from the US with one of my folders -- within less than an hour I had no less than 4 responses from people in the area I would be in inviting me to join them on the water! In fact, the day I checked into my rental cottage, two folks from the nearby paddle club stopped by to welcome me. I joined them for club outings on the Rivers Rye and Derwent -- they were the high-point of the trip.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:44 pm 

They're a friendly bunch, aren't they. But I could say the same about the enthusiasts on this site too. ;-)

Another site you might find useful, if you're looking for local places to paddle, or where to put in and take out, is paddlepoints.net.
All the best,
Ian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:28 pm 
paddler

Thanks Ian,

paddlepoints.net looks very handy, especially for inland waterways. Roll on the warmer weather.

Kind regards
Ken