Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hallo from Poland
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:48 am 
recent arrival

Hi fellow lovers of folding kayaks!

I live in south-eastern Poland. The first time I sat in a kayak was when I was about 10 years old (I don’t remember exactly). I bought my first very own NEPTUN-08 (today it’s Wayland) kayak in 1976 and I still have it.

Whenever I went kayaking, I thought about modifications and how to improve the experience. Unfortunately, there was always something more important to do after the season was over.

Two years ago, while working on the technology behind producing a carbon fiber paddle, I created a material that made it possible to fabricate a lighter, more durable, and cheaper kayak frame than one made of wood.

While gathering info about contemporary constructions, I came across this forum. I spent most of my time reading about future of folded kayaks. I agree with many of the ideas presented but I know that improvements take action so I’ve decided to construct a folded kayak by myself. If anyone has any suggestions, please share them with me.

After reading through, I’d truly appreciate help in setting up the parameters for the first model.

Please help me set the criteria in terms of validity.

· PRICE

o ( a double kayak 5.40 m, hypalon skin, should cost about 1,500 euros)

o my friend says that no one would buy that cheap a kayak – is he right?

· Kayak assembly time

· DIMENSIONS OF THE PACKAGE

o small package dimensions are longer folded, but the canoe can fly by plane

o quick assembly package has a length of about 140 cm

· Total weight

o in this case, the skin selection is very important and depends on whether its hypalon or TPU

· Speed

· Cargo weight

o for speed, it must be narrow

o for buoyancy, it has to be wide

o E.T.C..............................................

My dream is that one day 2,000 or more folded kayaks will take part in the International Canoeing Rally on the Dunajec River.

Thank you in advance to all my fellow enthusiasts of folded kayaks.

Post subject: Re: hallo from Poland
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:50 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your ambitious venture.

If I was trying to fabricate a new entrant in the folding kayak world I would aim for a single (17ft), expedition grade (very high abrasion and good tear properties), high volume (payload/capacity of 45 pounds+), lightweight (<40lbs), fast (look at the Khatsalano), solid tracking boat that could be assembled in less than 20 minutes and cost less than $1,500 U.S. Then I would go back and have another beer and find another venture...

I don't want to sound discouraging. In fact I would really like to encourage you to have a go at creating a novel expression of the folder. The challenge you will face is the one that got the best of the best international brand (Klepper) and the highest quality, highest tech brand (Feathercraft). That challenge is one of market forces today. If you search this forum you will find plenty of discussion on the subject of the future of folders, you might start with the thread about the demise of Folbot.

Best,
g

1988 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
39' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

Post subject: Re: hallo from Poland
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:57 am 
recent arrival

Thank you very much for the quick response.

I will deal with sea kayaks later, after I will complete details of the frame's construction. S far I have built a folding canoe on which I test different solutions. In my opinion using aluminum frame is a dead end. Simply saying it is to week. I saw on the Dunajec river kayaks wrapped on the bridge pillar.

I share your opinion about the skin. Hypalon with a high basis weight has such parameters. In Poland there is a company that sews skins to all folders. I spoke to the owner yesterday, she said that she only sews from Hypalon 1750g / sqm, she does not accept other orders.

I am of the opinion that companies must specify in specifications what the skin is made of and what parameters it has.

As for Klepper, I would not like to be in their situation at all. I do not have information from official sources, so I will not write about the details. We will see.

Regards

Victor