Brian from Alberta

A place to introduce yourself to other members

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

BrianMcD

Brian from Alberta

Post by BrianMcD »

Hi everyone,

I have an old 2 - seater folding kayak that I am trying to learn more about. I purchased it 10 years ago and I have use it in fresh water 7-8 times. I thought it was a Klepper at first, but now i believe it is some kind of Klepper Aftermarket boat. Perhaps someone could help me identify it.

It is wooden framed with grey hypilon hull and blue canvas deck. On the bow portion of the deck is written: "Furst Zelte Boote Wien" with a couple of symbols. It does not have sponsons, but it did come with a double spray deck in an original bag.

Can anyone help me to identify it? I would like to add a rudder and perhaps a single cockpit spraydeck. Is it worth spending any money on?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Brian

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

Some photos of hull and frame might help.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

westcoastwill

Post by westcoastwill »

Hi Brian,

Fürst was a tent and folding kayak factory in Viennna, Austria, the stopprd the production in the late 1970ies or early 1980ies.

Their most popular boats where the WE425 and the WE70, ceck out the frame pieces, maybe there is a number somewhere.

The Fürst kayaks had a very good reputation and where well made, build like the 1950ies Kleppers without the air sponsons.

If your boat is still in good condition, i think it would be good to invest in a rudder and spraydeck, maybe parts of Pouch boats would fit, as mje mentioned, it would help, if you post some photos.

Does your boat look like this? Sorry for the bad quality of the photo.

Is this the logo?

Here is where to look for the numbers:

This is the single kayak:

I hope this helps!

Have a nice weekend,

servus

:wink:

Willi

westcoastwill

Post by westcoastwill »

P.S: I wonder, how your boat, originally from Vienna ended up in Alberta, must be an interesting story.

:wink:

Willi

BrianMcD

Post by BrianMcD »

westcoastwill:

Thanks for the response. I just travelled from Alberta to Newfoundland, and set up the internet today.

My boat looks like the first picture. The logo is somewhat different on the bow, and there are metal circular logos on several parts of the outer frame. The boat is in Alberta. When I return in the new year, I will take some photos and post them.

It is in good shape and I have a double spraydeck. The spraydeck is not faded at all and there is no indication of corrosion on any of the fittings. I don't think it has seen much if any salt water. The hull has no cracks holes or patches. When I used it last it took on no water.

I would like to get a rudder and a single spraydeck for when I paddle alone. Perhaps if I post a picture of the stern hardware, someone will know what rudder would fit.

I purchased the boat from a helicopter pilot who was from Newfoundland, but base in B.C. He could have purchased it anywhere he worked or lived. I suspect it came from B.C. There are a significant number of German people in Western Canada and it was likely imported by one of them.

thanks
Brian

BrianMcD

Post by BrianMcD »

If the red lettering in the logo was replaced by 'Zelte Boote" it would be almost identical. The frame and numbering looks slightly different, but the "Gunnel" (not sure of the correct term) pieces look identical to the first picture, with a red stripe in the centre groove. And the metal connector at the front of the cockpit is the same.

It also has fittings for a sail kit.

westcoastwill

Post by westcoastwill »

Brian, your kayak might come from a later or earlier production, however, please post photos from your stern hardware and maybe from the area where you want to have a yoke for the rudder installed and i will check, if a pouch or similar rudder will fit.

servus,

Willi

BrianMcD

Back with Photos

Post by BrianMcD »

WestCoastWill and others:

I finally have my kayak in Newfoundland (moved back from Alberta). and I have photos. Now, How do I copy or embed them here??

The hull is still in good shape, so I would like to know where I might be able to get a rudder and other accessories for it.[/img]

BrianMcD

Post by BrianMcD »

figured it out. Do these numbers mean anything?

BrianMcD

more photos

Post by BrianMcD »

BrianMcD

Post by BrianMcD »

View of rear cockpit.

Stern hardware . attachment point for rudder.

Any info on a suitable rudder would be appreciated. :)

westcoastwill

Post by westcoastwill »

Hi Brian,

great to hear from you again, i see you allready have figured out how to post pictures.

i think you reallly need a rudder for your kayak, i will look for one that fits on your boat. i guess, you need also the foot pedals?

The rudder setup form a Pouch RZ85 looks like it might fit too, let me check on that option.

can you mail the inner and outher distance of the two rudder horns? that would help a lot.

servus

Willi

BrianMcD

Post by BrianMcD »

Thanks for the quick reply! I will measure the distances and the hole diameter today. I do need foot pedals.

...and possibly a propane heater :idea: ...It snowed here last night!!! check this picture from earlier this month:

This is one of the bays I am planning to kayak this summer (if it ever arrives) :(

BrianMcD

dimensions

Post by BrianMcD »

Ok, here are the dimensions of the stern hardware (for rudder mount):

Inside 3.0 cm
Outside 5.4 cm
pinhole diameter 4.0-4.5 mm

thanks
Brian

westcoastwill

Post by westcoastwill »

Brian, the weather has been crazy on our side of the big pond too, way too warm and too dry for months! it looks like you guys have been holding back all the snow this winter!

Here is where we paddleded last sunday:

Lake Wolfgang, near Salzburg, hot like hell, 32 degrees celsius!

If possible, please go metric with the dimensions, i would have a hard time calculating the imperial results to our metric stuff! :oops:

servus,

Willi

Return to “Introductions”