Brian from Alberta

A place to introduce yourself to other members

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

westcoastwill

Post by westcoastwill »

Hi Brian,

sorry for the long delay, i was on vacations, had a great time paddling the southern gulf islands in B.C. will post a trip report later.

comming back to your rudder problem, the klepper rudder will not fit into your existing hardware mounts, it has 3 arms, your mount has only 2 amrms.

however, i could cut off the hardware from my old post war klepper hull, maybe you could exchange the mounts, or better yet, make the klepper hardward fit OVER the Fürst hardware, and voila, a klepper rudder would fit.

Klepper rudders plus pedals will pop up on ebay all the time, getting one is no problem. you can have it shipped to my place and i ship it over to you, if you buy it in europe.

let me know what you think, i am still on the lookout for a original Fürst rudder setup too.

servus,

Willi

BrianMcD

rudder

Post by BrianMcD »

Hi Willi,

I bet you didn't have internet or phone access in the gulf islands :-) Sounds like a great place for a vacation. Being a Professional Forester, I could probably get a job out on the coast, and spend my weekends kayaking... Oh but right now I am not working and enjoying the beautiful lakes and bays in Newfoundland. Perhaps when I run out of money :-)

Anyway, I am very interested in your old rudder and mountiing hardware. Do you happen to have the yoke? Regardless, I am sure my friends and I can make it work. How much do you want for it? and how much would shipping cost me?

I still would be interested in furst parts or boats that show up on ebay, so keep me in mind if you see anything show up.

thanks,
Brian

BrianMcD

Post by BrianMcD »

Brigus East Harbour , Irish shore, Avalon pennisula, Newfoundland

Republic of Newfoundland!

BrianMcD

Post by BrianMcD »

Willi,

Do you know the inside dimensions of this rudder. I think it might be the same as the one you have. It has a turning yoke and pin

http://cgi.ebay.at/FALTBOOT-RZ-85-Kolib ... dZViewItem

westcoastwill

Post by westcoastwill »

hi brian,

the rudder form the auction it is a pouch rudder and would fit on any eastern german folding kayak, yes, it would fit on my rudder.

however, this parts are very common and we can go for a better deal that includes the pedals too.

let me check what is on my klepper frame, if i have what you need, i will ship it over to you, including the hardware for the hull mount.

i am turning my old klepper into a interesting bookshelf and dont need the parts any longer, you can have them for free.

can you send me a p.m. with your adress for shipping?

will take some fotos from that stuff and get back to you next monday.

have a nice weekend,

willi

BrianMcD

Post by BrianMcD »

Thanks Willi,

I sent the PM to you. If you didn't get it let me know.

For those following or reading this threat check out the following album:

http://picasaweb.google.ca/brianmcdo/Gr ... wfoundland

westcoastwill

Post by westcoastwill »

Hi Brian,

thank you very much for your pm.

i have checked what i can do for you, here is the result:

Unfortunatley, i dont have the Klepper Rudder, yoke and pedals, but i do have the rudder mount, just got the hardware off the old hull:

It attatches to the hull with one screw (that came off after all this years very easy!) and a piece of hull fabric, glued over the small hardwarepart.

when i took the mount off the old hull, i could not help but admire the handiwork what they did 40 years ago at the klepper factory in Rosenheim!

Here is a close up:

i would be happy to ship it over to you, if you think you can use it. we will find a matching rudder with yok and pedals on ebay, no problem.

let me know what you think,

Willi

BrianMcD

Post by BrianMcD »

Hi Will,

Just got back from a trip to St. John's (the capital of Newfoundland). I managed to get some camping and kayaking in on the way back in Terra Nova National Park. Great place for kayaking and camping if one likes to be undisturbed by others. I didn't kayak around St. John's as the ocean looked too formidable for me, especially alone.

I would appreciate you sending the hardware. It will be much easier to find a klepper rudder assembly. I might even find one on this side of the Atlantic.

thanks for your help,
Brian

I will post some pictures of my trip on my album page:

http://picasaweb.google.ca/brianmcdo/Au ... wfoundland

westcoastwill

Post by westcoastwill »

Brian, i have packed the hardware and will ship it tomorrow via Victoria B.C.

hope you will find the matching rudder and will watch out on ebay on this side here for the same or even a Fürst rudder!

:wink:

servus

Willi

westcoastwill

Post by westcoastwill »

Brian,

the rudder mount is on its way to you.

here is a offer on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.at/Klepper-Faltboot-Fus ... dZViewItem

the seller ships worldwide, you can also have it shipped to my adress and i forward it to you.

Willi

BrianMcD

Post by BrianMcD »

Hi Willi,

Thanks a million for sending me the hardware. I saw my first Klepper yesterday on my Lomond trip (check my web album). I think I can make it work.

I looked at the unit on ebay. Before I make a bid, are you sure it has the same attachment setup as your hardware?

thanks
Brian

http://picasaweb.google.ca/brianmcdo/Lomond

westcoastwill

Post by westcoastwill »

Hi Brian,

my shipment has arrived in Canada, it is due to delivery for for my friend on monday, you can check it out at http://www.dhl.om at "tracking&tracing" the airwaybillnumber is:

my friend will forward the rudder hardware with post canada to you, i have it allready packed and adressed.

the rudder set up form ebay will fit, the only thing what you might have to do is to add some kind of small board for the footrest to your frame.
as you can see on the ebay fotos, the kleper part has two aluminium parts, that fit over the klepper floor board and i dont know wether your fürst has the same frame.

that should be no porblem at all, just drill two holes into your floor setup and screw a fitting board on with 2 wing-nuts, i did the same on my Pouch RZ85.

the other thing is, i dont think the seller is registered with paypal, but he has his bank account registered on ebay, so you can transfer the money (if you win the auction) from your bank account to his.
i did that several times from european accounts to us and canadian accounts and it worked well.

if you want, you can have it shipped to my place and i can ship it over to you with the company i am working for, its a lot faster than regular airmail.

let me know whats going to happen!

Great fotos, we have to go an a trip together sometime!

servus

Willi

Return to “Introductions”