Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from Aberdeenshire
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:57 am 
paddler

Registering again, as it's been a long time since I've posted. Our 2008 Nautiraid Grand Raid 520 Expedition is still going well, after much use, mainly around the British coast. Only repairs needed so far have been replacement of brass eyelets and brass carry-handle rivets on the main skin. The eyelets are readily available and the rivets have been replaced with stainless steel bolts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:47 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Welcome back! Where do you paddle? I sometimes visiit Edinburgh, but in winter, when it’s a bit too cold for me to even think about paddling in the Firth of Forth

Feathercraft Wisper, First light 420, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (4sale),Nautiraid Geenlander 1, K1, 416 & Narak 460 (sold my 550), Pakboats Quest 135, TRAK 2.0
Wanted:original Advanced Elements Air Fusion
Cape Falcon F1, Beth, Hobie AI

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:35 pm 
faltbootemeister

Welcome, Andrew! Both of my parents hailed from Aberdeen. Neither of them, alas, ever shared my interest in folding kayaks. In fact, they weren't really aware of the folding boat phenomenon, but that's neither here nor there. My parents, understandably, did enjoy their rowies and tea. In our family rowies, due to their scarcity on Canadian shores, attained mythical status. My parents, and by extension, myself and my siblings, were painfully deprived of anything resembling a rowie for several decades. Alas, in spite of noble, albeit somewhat inconsistent, efforts to promote these two seemingly unrelated phenomena (rowies and folding kayaks!), both remained obscure and unappreciated, and have long since been extirpated from the Canadian cultural landscape. The onus, therefore, has fallen on yours truly to keep the solitary embers burning. Here it is: if I, martin2007, am not the world's only Canadian owner and paddler of a Tyne folder__and I believe I probably am__ I'm sure I must be the only Canadian folding kayak paddler who also bakes, eats, and spreads the gospel of the legendary Aberdeen buttery. Enough! @%&$ the folding boats! It's winter here, for crying out loud! Please answer me this, Andrew: how healthy these days is the rowie trade in Aberdeenshire?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:47 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I lived 38 years in Ontario, I now live on St Marys in the Isles of Scilly. Whats a Rowie? . The local shop is the co-op and they don,t sell them. Of course I am the only one on the islands with folders.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:36 pm 
paddler

I can confirm that Rowies are indeed high energy food. We have taken them on kayak-camping expeditions along with a bag of oats and a Kelly Kettle for making the oat brose. One could be marooned for several weeks this way on a Scottish loch but still have provisions. Rowies are also known as "butteries" or Aberdeen Rolls. When I first came to Aberdeen and asked for a roll in a bakery, they always asked whether I meant a Glasgow Roll - a fluffy white soft bread roll - rather than a Rowie, the latter being more like a circular flattened Croissant with twice as much butter or lard incorporated - delicious with even more melted butter and marmalade. Still plenty of rowies for sale in the shops here, even wholemeal and vegetarian versions. Never seen any research on their impact on the death rate compared to elsewhere!

We took our folder out to the Scillies in July 2017 - at ordinary Scillonian luggage rate. Had a great time travelling between the Isles from a base camp on St Martins. Never been on the Forth, but have paddled off Harris/Lewis, Glen Shiel to GlenUig, Ardnamurchan/Mallaig area, Rannoch Moor, Thames, Devon & Cornwall and of course off the Aberdeenshire coast. The Nautiraid is certainly a very seaworthy vessel, if one takes care.

We have enjoyed touring around BC, with occasional rented kayaking. Interested that you mention a Tyne kayak. I was introduced to kayaking on a Tyne Double in the 1960s. Another very seaworthy vessel.

Andrew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:02 pm 
faltbootemeister

Hello again, Andrew, and thank you for responding. I've never paddled a Nautiraid, but I've heard that they make excellent boats. My old Tyne is a double that I purchased used in pristine condition in the mid-nineties. I rigged her as a solo for the past ten years or so. I keep adding concrete fillers and rubber strips to a disintegrating hull, but the deck still looks great and I love paddling and tripping with her.

Glad to hear that rowies are still a force to be reckoned with in parts of Scotland. Nowadays I eat far too many of them__prepared by me and therefore surely lacking by a true connoisseur's standards__ and often take along a dozen on canoe and kayak trips.

You also mentioned "brose". My heart skipped a beat when you did so. Two of my biggest comfort foods from my childhood were just those: rowies and brose. My mom, who passed away just 2 months ago at the age of 93, was never clear about what sort of oatmeal she used to use way back when to prepare us our brose. If I wasn't feeling well, or was off school for some reason, or it was ugly weather outside, she would often prepare me a mug of brose. It tasted nothing like her normal stove-top prepared porridge. It was prepared "in" the mug and ready in a jiffy__and no microwave oven back then! She always prepared our brose in the mug with a pat of butter on top. I'd dip each spoonful of brose into a cup of milk (separate) before I swallowed it . Brose had a unique rough texture that left an indelible impression in the back of my throat, but far more so in my heart, grown nostalgic with time and loss. I've experimented in recent years with "stone-cut oats" and other gimmicky "Scottish" imports sold in North America. Unfortunately, I haven't come close to duplicating the simple, but mysterious, hot cereal prepared by my dear mom. What's the key, Andrew? What oatmeal type or brand is required?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:12 am 
paddler

Apologies, the brose we make when kayak-camping is more like porridge as we just use crushed oats rather than oatmeal. Boiling water in an enclosed kettle fuelled by bits of stick in windy conditions is just easier than heating up saucepans. Generally on the west coast of Scotland, some wind is desirable at a campsite to keep the midges at bay. Years ago, a flatmate of mine used to make peasemeal brose with a type of ground pea. His mugs were very difficult to clean afterwards. I suspect one needs very finely ground oats for the type of food you were describing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:58 am 
faltbootemeister

Hey, Andrew, thanks for the reply. Coarse, mill-ground oats might just be the ticket. Anyway, time to return to season-appropriate activity: it's minus 18 C where I am, and that calls for some serious knee-dropping on the powdery slopes. Again, welcome aboard!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:08 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Andrew, it,s the first time that I have heard of folders coming over to Scilly, when you were here I was probably helping in an artists studio so I didn,t spot you out on the water. If camping and kayaking, St Martins is probably the best choice of islands although I havn,t been to any of the off islands for years so things might have changed. My fleet consists of two Aerius 2s, one Folbot Yukon, one Triak and a Hobie tandem island although I don,t seem to get enough time to use them as much as I should. Did you ever consider paddling over, the odd hardshell kayaker has done it and a few paddle back to the mainland if the conditions are right. I don,t think I would try it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:49 pm 
paddler

Yes, St Martins has a great campsite just over the sand dunes from the launching beach. We were glad that the wooden longerons of the kayak were well wrapped in bubble-wrap when we saw them being chuted out of the Scillonian and then thrown between the inter-island ferry boats alongside. We didn't venture outside the shallower waters between the Eastern Isles and Bryher although we were blessed with great weather. Paddling from the mainland will have to remain in my dreams!