Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:53 pm 
recent arrival

Hi all, I just rescued a Klepper Master 12' boat from my dad's house in Lousiana and pulled it 550mi. home to Tennessee. It's been hanging from the ceiling suspended in 2 rubber straps for >30 years, I was the last one to sail it and maybe the only person in our family of 7 kids to sail it as far as I know. The last time it was in the water was the mid to late 1980's off the coast of MS or FL. It is in pretty good shape for it's age due to being protected in the garage but needs a refurb. Has all parts, sails, mast, etc. My daughter is turning 21 and said she'd like to learn how to sail and from memory this boat is pretty forgiving by being heavy and wide so hard to tip and doesn't fly along.

I hope to condition the rubber and possibly put another coat seal of some type of rubberized paint product I"m researching. My father acquired it in the 80's, buying it from someone who was moving but I have no idea when it was built originally. I've read the hull skin changed to hypalon in the early '70's? How can I tell if it's natural rubber or hypalon? It's a medium gray and I can add some pics if my noob status allows yet. I have marine canvas cleaner and conditioner to restore the water repellencey and think that part will come back nicely. The floor boards are in good shape with only one broken and tha section does not have a center support compared to others so I may add one.

I hope to post my restoration progress but I can kick myself for not taking the 'barn find' pic of where it was hanging for 30+ years before I took it down.
I love projects and of course have too many going at the moment so I do a little on each one each weekend - restoration/modification on a '67 Mustang Coupe, '02 Miata i've supercharged (200 rwhp) that is my DD and track car, Seadoo Spark, numerous garage and home projects so I DIY most everything.

Thanks, Jon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

The hull is rubber. The Master was made long before Klepper started using Hypalon. I had a Master a number of years ago, with a dry, cracked hull. I don’t think they still make the old rubber coating material, which was at best a temporary fix.

The good news is that Mark Eckhart at Long Haul Folding Kayaks can make a new hull for you and sew it to your existing deck. I had him do that for mine. It’s not cheap, but it’s well worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:11 pm 
recent arrival

Thanks for the info on where to get a replacement hull skin made.
Any idea of what years the Master was made to get a ballpark of age?

What type of wood is the flooring made from?

At a minimum I'll need to do rubberized touch ups to the skin.

Thanks, Jon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

It was made from 1958 to 1972. If the rubber isn’t cracked, it may be possible to use it as is. The risk is that the fabric under the rubber coating has decayed and lost strength. Mark Eckhart can advise.