Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:14 am 
Hi all

I just started college this fall and havent been kayaking for a while. I'm originally from hot tropical Asia and now I'm at Virginia doodling my time away. I joined the college outdoors club and have gone hiking, climbing, rafting and skydiving, but not yet kayaking. The waters where I used to paddle back home are rather sheltered (sea kayaking) so I'm quite excited/[naughty word] about the rivers here (went into class v rapids at the gauley for rafting)

I got interested in foldables after reading Complete Folding Kayaker which was awesome. I've ordered the second edition and some other kayaking books which are still at amazon after almost a month grrrr.. As all college students, I'm poorer than anyone else here, and debts will only increase after graduation :lol: I hope to somehow save up enough to buy a kayak before i retire :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:24 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Hi Fearfase.

Welcome to the group. If you're looking at paddling whitewater, keep in mind that some inflatables are better at that than framed folders, and they can be cheaper as well.

Happy paddling!

Mary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:07 am 
fearfase wrote:
now I'm at Virginia doodling my time away
I think one or two of the folks at the Folbot Forum reside in Virginia. Although you haven't mentioned wanting to, perhaps they'd be willing to let you demo one of their boats? Anyway, they'd be a great source of information about local waterways.

My guess is that you'll obtain a reasonably priced used folder, wear it out, and by the time you return to Asia, if that's what you plan to do, you'll return as Asian distributor for the variety of folding kayak you really want? :)

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:02 pm 
Quote:
As all college students, I'm poorer than anyone else here, and debts will only increase after graduation I hope to somehow save up enough to buy a kayak before i retire.

So, how badly do you want a folder ?

If you can find 100 hrs of spare time, $500, and a place to build it, you're home free.

There are several Touring designs, performance Greenland designs, and sleek Baidarka's in the builders manual below. The e-manual and all designs are free.
Many first time builders have completed these boats. Look through the "New Completions" section for folding and non folding projects recently completed.

Stop whining and start building :)

http//:www.yostwerks.com/

Regards,

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:03 pm 
Yostwerks wrote:
If you can find 100 hrs of spare time, $500, and a place to build it, you're home free.

i was thinking of working on campus for a year or two maybe and then buying the kayak, but hey, building it isnt too bad too, only that i dont have the time nor the space to :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:08 pm 
Christov_Tenn wrote:
My guess is that you'll obtain a reasonably priced used folder, wear it out, and by the time you return to Asia, if that's what you plan to do, you'll return as Asian distributor for the variety of folding kayak you really want? :)

i've been eyeing feathercraft kayaks for a while now, but after reading some threads on the warranty, they might not honour warranties on second-hand boats. so, im not too sure whether to buy a used boat or not.. is it the same for folbot boats?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:55 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

but they will not soak you for replacement parts either. I have Feathercrafts for the past 12 years and they never let me down.

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:13 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Yostwerks wrote:
So, how badly do you want a folder ?

Tom, for many of us, it's not that easy. Many people get interested in folders because they have no place to store a hardshell. If you don't have kayak-sized storage space, how do you find kayak-sized building space? Then, you quote a cost for materials. But if you start off with no tools, how much do they cost? (And where do you keep them, if you live in a small apartment?) Then think about skills - I've looked at diagrams on your website, and I wouldn't have a clue how to start turning them into something real. All of that needs to be addressed, before worrying about finding the 100 hours.

What you do is great. But don't assume that everyone else could do it.

Mary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:16 am 
fearfase wrote:
is it the same for folbot boats?
From what I've read at http://www.folbotforum.com, what Chuck said about Feathercraft applies also to Folbot. Warranty to the original customer, and helpfulness to those who've purchased a used Folbot. C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:22 am 
Quote:
Then, you quote a cost for materials. But if you start off with no tools, how much do they cost? (And where do you keep them, if you live in a small apartment?) Then think about skills - I've looked at diagrams on your website, and I wouldn't have a clue how to start turning them into something real. All of that needs to be addressed, before worrying about finding the 100 hours. What you do is great. But don't assume that everyone else could do it.

Hi Mary,

I don't disagree entirely with anything you have stated, but the one additional factor, especially for someone short on cash, is motivation. If you really want to build a boat, or do anything for that matter, you will find a way to do it. I've seen college students built outdoors..

http://alum.hampshire.edu/~men99/kayak.html - Matt Noonan at Cornell Univ.

I've seen others rent a self-storage unit for a month and build there, and I've seen others build in their small apartments. Tools are actually quite minimal, and I discuss these option with builders. I've even loaned out my tools when no other option was avalable. You can spend under $100US for tools, or up to $1000...it's up to the individual. You can rent them or borrow them. There are numerous optons , if the desire is there.

Building vs buying certainly isn't for everyone, nor was it ever meant to be. But for someone with limited resources, it is doable...if the motivation is there. Many of the builders of my boats would not have a folder were it not for my site, and I take great pride in that fact. You mention the assumed complexity of the instructions...This isn't rocket science, and I have seen many individuals with no prior building experience of any kind, successfully complete their boats. There is a huge difference between a passing "negative" glance at the instructions, and a strong desire to undersatand and use them.

http://yostwerks.com/KathyReport1.html - Kathy Smith and her Sea Tour 13 project.

The quality of the finished projects vary greatly. I've seen workmanship that rivals commercial construction but I've also seen quality that lags far behind. But, to the individual builders, their boats are special, as they have developed skiils that a commercial kayak purchaser will likely never have. If you built it, you can fix it, and that is a very reassuring thought.

This is a commercial folding kayak forum, and as such, the homebuilt kayak isn't given much consideration, and that's quite understandable. But, at least it is a viable option. For the paddler wanting a high performance folder, mine is nearly their only option.

Best Regards,

Tom