Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:20 pm 
recent arrival

Hello from upstate New York - on the edge of the Adirondacks and near Lake George - in the town of Queensbury. Many years ago I built a Folbot 17 foot rigid kayak with a sailing rig. Thoroughly enjoyed it! My wife and I along with two young boys could fit in the cockpit and feel perfectly safe. Sailed it on lakes, Albemarle Sound off of Nags Head and many other places. Eventually sold it. Later bought a small Elco electric boat. Sorry I ever sold that. We always had our Grumman canoe. In more recent years I have been boatless and miss it. I am seeking an old Folbot wooden frame for restoration in the hope of covering it with Dacron for a much lighter weight craft that I can use around here and in Florida when I go south. Looking forward to being a member of this forum. Paul Preuss, Queensbury, New York

Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:22 pm 
faltbootemeister

Welcome aboard from Long Island!
There seem to be frames around. Posting here is good, I suggest you watch ebay and craigslist. Keep us posted on re-skinning, it's something I've considered too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:41 am 
recent arrival

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I have found just a few but not close. Ideally the frame needs to be close enough for me to drive out and back in a day to pick up. I have just started so I am hopeful. Originally thought of building a Geodesic Airolite Boat from scratch but realized it was too big a project for me and I would have to move half my shop up into my garage. This project seemed somewhat easier. I grew up in Queens. Spent a lot of time on Long Island. Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:30 am 
faltbootemeister

I understand, having bought many things on craigslist or ebay, including boats and cars. Just be patient and persistent.
You might also look at other Skin on Frame designs, like those of Dave Gentry. Those are quicker builds than the Airolites.
My lightweight travel boat (aside from my Folbot Aluet) is an Ultralight Lapstrake canoe designed by Tom Hill, 15'x28" and 40#.
I was stationed at Fort Totten in Bayside, also Fort Tilden in Rockaway while in the USCG. I walked a foot post in Hollis and in South Jamaica in NYPD. (For non New Yorkers, that's all in Queens)