Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie from Arizona
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:00 pm 
Hi..It's I...the Newbie from the high desert....land of the Saguaro.
I've owned and used my very old Folbot Super since about 1967..or so. It is (of course) a double or triple if necessary..but now I'm older and looking for an old-person-paddle boat...only in shape of a Kayak. Some interesting 'yaks on E-bay...but I am a tad fearful of chosing the wrong boat...There may not be many kayakers here since the lakes are small and stagnant and the rivers are dry. I plan to go to the Sea of Cortez and try out whatever I buy--or build. I bought a couple of books and downloaded the "Pak-yak" free plans. Nothing thrills me on the net...except of course the cost of a new Kayak. I think I need a "folder"..or one I can cut i two..if such there be. Getting it home is a problem...storage also...money also. Ideas...anyone? :roll: :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:12 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Welcome!

Folbot still makes good boats at good prices. Pakboats' Puffins are very good, also, and very different from Folbot. If you look areound this site, especially under "What boat for me?", you will find a lot of info. What are you looking for in a boat? What does being older imply that you are looking for in a boat?

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

Post subject: Re: Newbie from Arizona
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:58 am 
For wood-frame boats, similar to Klepper or older Folbots, you might want to consider Wayland. Their boats provide a good compromise between cost and quality, and are sea-worthy.

For other types of boats, I would second Chris's opinion. Folbot makes very decent boats out of modern materials that also provide a good price-quality compromise. For something on the lighter side, Pakboats work well.

There is also an Atlatl, but I believe that this boat was meant mostly for protected areas -- some reports state that it may not be built strong enough for sea sailing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:46 pm 
Chris T and Menedem...Thanks for the helpful comments. I am looking and learning....there is a lot of information available and many people willing to share their first hand knowledge and advice. So...thanks.
Margaret (AKA Nutmeg)