Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Different sailing rigs
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:56 am 
paddler

I've found a video of a canoe / kayak sailing regatta. Not an overly serious event, but many different styles of rigs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQDSY4Kn2sE

It seems to be an annual event. It's in German, but the videos are quite entertaining. Especially the one of 2015 at beaufort 5.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:08 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Very interesting, it looks like a good enthusiastic group, if only I could get one going here. More sailing and less talking would have been nice but to see canoes, and folders present with at least one white water craft in the same club. So it looks like we need clogs, red and white sock and to be able to paddle like mad out of a lock, don,t forget to look out for owls. It led me onto one of the electric outboards I am looking at, the Bixpy Jet, which is not really a jet but interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:07 am 
paddler

Thanks for the reply.
It's an open event, with most of the people not of the same club, but arriving from different places.
I've found a nice post about sail development:
http://www.faltbootbasteln.de/fbb-faltb ... egeln.html

Again in German, but with many diagrams and photos. It basically descibes how the owner improved upon the bought sailing rig and the problems he encountered (broken masts for example).

The Bixpy looks a bit like the Scubajet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:47 am 

I said quite a lot on motors in the general section, I was looking at cheap trolling motors. The Bixpy is quoted at a top speed of 11 kmph,the Scubejet is 8 kmph and looks a lot different. I am wondering about the size of the propeller on the Scubajet but the onboard battery looks interesting, unfortunately the Scubajet costs more, but at present the Bixpy is not being sent into the UK. The difference in top speed might make me buy the Bixby when they can be sent to the UK. I looked at the sail rig on German site and it showed in one picture how the mizzen can be controlled which is some thing I have thought about but never come to a conclusion.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:26 am 
paddler

I've seen some similiary rigged kayaks on a lake last summer and they also employed outriggers to counter the tilt of the boat.
I always thought, that the scubajet uses a turbine.

The site I mentioned also includes some examples of early attemps of motrorisation
http://www.faltbootbasteln.de/fbb-faltb ... motor.html
Describes the experience with several outboard / sideboard engines. The first one a purpose build GDR two-stroker, which he admits, was hard to start, noisy as hell and stinking to high heaven. He has build a sideboarder out of a Honda BF2, which he quite likes.

http://www.faltbootbasteln.de/fbb-elektroantriebe.html
Describes, the use and energy consumption of electric motors. There is also an article about, how people build motors out of a car dynamo.

Also, how to convert a sevlyor motorto a kayak.
The author strongly discurages the use of common car batteries (to fast energy release, and the danger of sulphuric acid). He advises to use "lead gel accumolators", but the site is several years old, so lithium may be the way to go.

If you want an real eye catcher try: http://www.faltbootbasteln.de/fbb-dampf-faltboot.html
There is also a video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVFUVzwrwQo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:41 pm 

I have been looking over the Faltbastein.de site and although I can,t read or speak German it is very interesting. For batteries I have found out they have to be what is called Leisure batteries. Lithium would be as you say the way to go. I just have to find out the power/size of battery needed. Makers of trolling motors don,t say, they give the voltage, usually 12 volts and ft/pounds . As far as I can see the Scubajet must have a small propeller inside the small diameter tube. Right now I am trying to get Klepper style J clamps which are a bit longer than the longest Klepper make. These are obtainable from http://www.faltbootsegel.com but sending money from my bank in the UK seems to be a problem, the pro forma invoice they sent me dosn,t according to my bank have the information required. In my bank they can,t read German and it is a small bank, I live on a small island off the UK mainland.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:38 am 
paddler

Most Germans speak or at least read reasonable well english. You don't need to hesitate to mail the shop for the information your bank needs.
You could also use the PayPal option. If you are not sure about the security you can deny PayPal access to your depot. In that case you can transfer the exact amount for you purchase to your PayPal account and they will transfer the money to the shop.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:21 am 

I have been corresponding with Faltbootsegel and their English is very good. I have sorted out payment so all is well. As regards the Scubajet, I just assumed it would be a small prop inside the unit. I have looked at 5 electric propulsion systems and some over the side outboard motors. The batteries needed for small outboards cost about£400 for Lithium.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:04 am 
faltbootemeister

I enjoyed the video too. Beautiful boats and sailing fun. I have sailed my canoe in several states but never in sight of other sailing canoes.
Mine is a double paddle canoe of glued lapstrake construction. Narrow, very light and not built to sail, she wants some caution and agility, but provides lots of fun.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:07 pm 

One thing they seem to do well in Germany is organize clubs and active groups for sailing events. Perhaps it is the relative short distances they live from each other, whereas in North America enthusiastic owners of folders can be many hundreds of miles apart. Folbot when their forum was in existence seemed to have meetings which they called flotillas and they still have one in Florida each year, it would be interesting to see how far their members travel for the get together. I suggested from time to time when I lived in Canada about enthusiast getting together and I would be at a location usually on northern end of the Great Lakes but no one ever met me. Of course for someone living in Southern Ontario it was a long way to travel. Even here on the Scilly isles no one is interested in a paddling or kayak sailing group, then most of the kayaks are small low cost sit on tops. In fact I have only seen one small local sit in kayak on the water. Active sea kayakers come over from the mainland each summer their boats travelling over on the ferry, but I have never seen a folder. Very few will paddle the 30 odd miles of open sea from the main Cornish coast to Scilly which would be a very risky undertaking even for the experienced sea kayaker as they would be going against the usual flow of the sea. A very small number of paddlers paddle from Scilly to the mainland, if the weather is perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:53 am 
paddler

It may also be, that we simply have more folders. They were a popular export of East-Germany (Pouch and MTW) and seem very durable.

Paddling 30 miles through open sea would scare me of, but paddling and sailing between the isles sounds nice (if the currents aren't to strong).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:57 am 

I have been told there is not much in the way of currents. Owing to problems getting away I don,t get on the water as much as I would like. West of the islands called St Agnes and Annet ( towards Bishop Rock lighthouse) is the western rocks this would be an area to avoid unless very calm, also the northern side of the islands of , Brhyer , Tresco and St Martins would be probably best if left alone, all the rest of the sea should be OK which leaves a big area for paddling and sailing. But of course it is not calm all the time. If you are able to look at a map it will make it clear. The isles of scilly might be one of the best places in England for sea kayaking.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 1:30 pm 
paddler

john allsop wrote:
Very interesting, it looks like a good enthusiastic group, if only I could get one going here. More sailing and less talking would have been nice but to see canoes, and folders present with at least one white water craft in the same club. So it looks like we need clogs, red and white sock and to be able to paddle like mad out of a lock, don,t forget to look out for owls. It led me onto one of the electric outboards I am looking at, the Bixpy Jet, which is not really a jet but interesting.