Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:45 am 
forum fan

I considered many sail rigs for my Folbot Aleut. One thing that I did not want was to have to use outrigger floats, even though I thoroughly understand their purpose. Another thing that I wanted was at least a bit of upwind performance. When I saw the Kayaksailor rig I was very impressed. Eventually I bought a 1.6 sq meter rig for my Aleut.

Kayaksailor shows several instances of installations on folding kayaks, using different mounting methods. I stole the main idea of using 1” square aluminum tubing as a mounting base for the Kayaksailor rig. It has been used in several different installations, and is a logical choice.

One thing that I insisted on was a fairly rigid installation. I don’t like things that are loose and tend to shift after they’re mounted. I figured that the single point that was lacking in installations that I had seen on folding kayaks was that there was no vertical support at the ends of the crosstube that held the leeboards. Stability here was critical, in my opinion, to prevent loss of power. I have not yet opted to glue d-ring attachment points to my hull. I still use an under-hull strap.

I designed my supports to sit on top of the frame tubing. The bases of the supports are made of fir and plywood, epoxy coated and painted. They have a piece of mouse pad glued to the bottom where they contact the hull. The pieces that connect to the leeboard crosstubes are machined from UHMW polyethylene. I glued and taped some ½” closed cell foam (cut from a sleeping pad) to the frame tubing at the gunwales where my support feet would sit.

I used the bow pad eye to secure the bow end of the 1” square tubing that mounts the Kayaksailor rig. My mount clamps to the sides of the pad eye with a single fastener that also goes through the eye. The aft end also clamps to an eye fitting that is bolted to the forward washboard casting. I left the 1” square tubing a little long and made an bowsprit end fitting from UHMW polyethylene. I don’t really have a purpose for the end fitting, I just couldn’t bring myself to cut the tubing flush with the bow. The side plates that fasten the Kayaksailor rig to the 1” square tubing are made of 3/16” acetal.

Fully assembled, this rig is about as solid as you could ask for. It shifts very little under sail. Couldn’t be happier. Thank you, Patti and David for an excellent rig.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:39 pm 
forum fan

Three more photos. Attachment points.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:46 pm 
forum fan

One last shot. Got a few more if needed.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:57 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Interesting mounts! I went for the 1.4 model on their recommendation l but I think it's too small for light airs and unfortunately they don't offer upgrade kits

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

Last edited by siravingmon on Tue May 23, 2017 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:43 pm 
forum fan

Simon:

Sorry to see that you're not happy with Kayaksailor's recommendation. I talked to Patti before I purchased. Very, very nice lady. After talking to her, I chose the 1.6 based on Gary's (from Maine) installation. The Aleut is a FAT kayak. Use the 1.6 sail in moderate winds and she'll fly. Otherwise, reef.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:28 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

That is a top notch mounting system, wow, nice work!

Simon, I'm surprised they suggested the 1.4, which boat are you using it on?

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:49 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

So far I've only tried it on my Nautiraid 416. Very unexciting in light airs. I think I may have to try begging them to sell me an upgrade or make the parts myself and try to just buy the bigger sail from them, if they'll sell it to me

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:23 am 

Simon, I wonder if the frame assembly is the same for both sails?

Why don't you measure your sails foot and luff and we'll do a little comparison between the two. I'd be interested to see what the difference is between the sizes anyway. My guess is that you wouldn't experience much more excitement with the larger sail in light winds. See the video I posted last night, it's a lot of sitting even with the 1.6.

In terms of rolling up the jib which I saw you mention in another thread it's not worth it. The jib is so small you'll want it up whenever you sail. More than anything it really just helps guide the wind around the sail better and give you another thing to tinker with or untangle. Ha

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:47 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Thanks Dennis, will do, but it won't be for acouple of weeks as I'm travelling till then

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:50 pm 
paddler

Newbie here with a 20 year old Folbot Aleut and a Folbot sail package without instructions.Does anybody know where I could get a copy of these instructions? Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:50 am 

BazG, why don't you start a new thread with your question. It's easily lost here. Although I imagine all the sailors read all the sailing threads... but you never know.

Simon, did you ever see my Kayaksailor conversion? It only requires having the sail and mast. Maybe Dave and Patti would sell you just those pieces which would allow you to either convert your track system or bypass it altogether like I have done by just using the mast partner on the boat.

Frankly, just buying their sail is probably a worthwhile purchase, and then make your own mast system...

There are a couple pictures around here: https://www.dennisleephotography.com/Dennis-Lee-Photograph/Boats/Klepper/n-p9swW/i-2PnKP9q

and here: https://www.dennisleephotography.com/Dennis-Lee-Photograph/Boats/Klepper/n-p9swW/i-wx9JzSm/A

Dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:52 pm 
paddler

DLee wrote:
BazG, why don't you start a new thread with your question. It's easily lost here. Although I imagine all the sailors read all the sailing threads... but you never know.

Thanks. I just started a thread.