Pacific Action on Longhaul-1

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Alm

Pacific Action on Longhaul-1

Post by Alm »

While waiting for parts from Mark Balogh (Mark, do you hear me? :-)) , I've adapted Pacific Action 1 sq.m rig (11.3 sq.ft) to Longhaul MK-1. The reason was that I 've been already using this sail on 17 ft 24" hardshell kayak, and thought it wouldn't be difficult to install it on MK-1. Here is the link to PA website: http://www.pacificaction.com/models1.htm (this is PA S110 model, the smallest in their line of V-sails). There are quite informative photos and video-clips at their website.

Another reason to try was that anything wider than 25" is a barge to me, speaking of speed per calories spend (or per each stroke), and MK-1 is not an exception. - so I wanted some more power to supplement my natural resources.

Adapting mostly lied in cutting a saddle - 1/8" aluminum plate and bending it to the peaked profile of the deck (it could've worked without a saddle). The saddle was placed immediately fore of the D-rings fore of the hatch and tied with short lines to these D-rings. A pair of longer lines was also tied to the foremost set of D-rings (in fact, there was only one line at each board - tied to the pair of closely spaced holes in each end of the plate). There was also a piece of blue foam under the plate. PA staff straps were tightehed to the port and starboard "eyes" screwed to the plate, and small retaining bungey loop was tied to the foremost cockpit D-ring (to hold the sail down on the deck). That's it for "adapting".

It is amaznig how much force is contained in wind. Totally enough to push my "barge" at my normal cruising paddling speed (or faster - if I have guts to keep the sail up). I crossed the bay may be 20% faster than if I were paddling in calm weather - but without diping blades into water most of the way. Wind was about 80 deg astern, i.e. almost cross-wind, blowing about 10 knots with gusts up to 12. It was more like 14 at the beginning, but I was afraid to raise the sail. 10-12 knots of crosswind and, may be, 14 knots on broad reach is my limit of comfort with a V-sail of that size in local cold waters in unloaded 28" wide boat (regular weekend stuff, little food and almost no freshwater). Perhaps, 8.5 sq.ft Spirit sail would've been more stabile (being smaller and farther from the bow), but also less useful in low winds (due to smaller size), and on broad reach of more than 60 degrees (because Spirit can't be trimmed). In gusting winds Spirit would've "spilledl the wind" due to flexible spars, but PA sail doesn't do this - you either trim it, or have a lot of thrill, or go for a swim. I am using 230 cm Greenland paddle with MK-1 - this paddle has happened to be a good "outrigger", with its flat blades. Probably, canoe paddle would work well too. Sailing crosswind in a narrow monu-hull boat is a thrill that you'll be missing out with Spirit - you'll have to dismantle it at crosswind. PA is also very easy to raise and lower any time, unlike Spirit.

For somebody solo-paddling LH or Klepper double this PA rig is a good choice. I think, 1 sq.m PA is a better downwind rig for a double than Spirit or Klepper downwind sail (Freewind or whatever they call it, I forgot), if you value the ease of raishg and lowering any moment and willing to accept some thrill (but 1 sq.m PA should feel very stabile on a double kayak). PA can be raised and lowered without taking your butt of the seat. There is no need to place the PA mast within your reach (but stability is better with mast closer to the cockpit). It will make life easier with wind at your tail somehwere in 170 deg angle. Spirit sail will handle about 120-130 deg of tail wind, and also will make life easier.

Klepper's Freewind may be isn't too bad, speaking of perfromance, but it scares me with its size and (reportedly) more complicated control. Anyway, on a single Longhaul/Klepper it is difficlut to reach the the mast collar to install the Freewind (and even more difficult to install Spirit with a 48" long cockpit, while under way - its mast-step has to be on the fore deck).

But I wouldn't use a V-sail larger than 1 sq.m on anything less wide than MK-1 (or AE1), or on something too short (the mast is too far in the bow for a sail with a high CE like PA ). High CE (=instability) is the inherent problem of V-sail.

PS: it might look as if I condemned another nice rig - Spirit, - because I liked this my particular toy - PA. Spirit is a well-made downwind rig (from very few to chose from, actually), - for small-cockpit boats like F-craft singles or hardshells. It's just not suitable for Klepper/Longhaul singles. And Spirit is not the kind of rig that you can play with, - trimming, catching the wind, pushing the limits (yes, with a lightly loaded single kayak like MK1, not to mention narrow kayaks, 11.3 sq.ft PA can be a lot of capsizing force in strong and/or side winds, or when jybing).

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

pacific action on longhaul-1

Post by john allsop »

you have said it all. the pacific action is a great sail, I have two aerius 11s fitted with P,A, sails and they are great, the ability to raise and lower on the go is a great asset and to sail almost hands free, if you have a control board is fantastic. the two places to look are http://www.pacificaction.co.nz and http://www.tundrasails.ca this last site might be slightly cheaper with great back up. don,t be put off by his location.

duck

Post by duck »

hey john what size are you using and where did you mount the mast? would love to see some pics.

john allsop

p-acific action on longhaul

Post by john allsop »

I contacted pacific action and asked about mounting their sail on a board clamped onto the coaming on my kleppers just behind the " mast hole" in the coaming using J bolts from klepper.They said it should be OK but I might lose the forward seat. As I don,t use it , that also was OK. The board is 19inches wide by 6inches with several coats of varnish and held on with 4 J bolts ( these are more like J clamps than bolts now ) I also stick some tape across to reduce wear on the ply which is 3/8 thick. The lee boards are right behind the board. I havn,t noticed any strain on the coaming, YET, The sail I use is the large one made for sit on top,s as recommended by PA. I have my GPS on my control board so I can see my speed. I think it,s a great sail. As regard sending photos, easy when you know how , but us older folk have some problems with these devices.

Alm

Post by Alm »

Just to add to John's post: PA sails now come in 3 sizes - 11 sf (1 sq.m), 16 sf (1.5 sq.m) and 24 sf (2.2 sq.m). The small PA mast (11 sf) is 150 cm long (59"). I am using it with the abovementioned aluminum "saddle" on the foredeck of MK1. I am very positive that this shorter mast can be used on Klepper AEII (or Longhaul MKII) with the same saddle, without losing the front seat. Very likely that 16 sf sail can also be used this way, but their largest 24 sf mast will stick out to the side too much, when stowed. Note, that it should better be tied to 4 D-rings, not just 2 (if your boat doesn't have any D-rings, you may order Hypalon D-patches from Longhaul).

The advantage of using the saddle is that the mast base can be placed on the deck closer to the bow, so that the mast top doesn't interfere with the front paddler, and the sprayskirt can aslo be used, if needed. The disadvanatage is that the stability and performance suffer - not much, just a little bit - when the sail is placed that far in the bow. Keep in mind, that this is merely a downwind sail, an auxiliary tool, so it is somehwat funny to talk about "sailing performance" here anyway. Also, when used on the foredeck of a double kayak, stability won't be a concern - at least with the small and middle size of sail.

berniem
faltbootemeister

Post by berniem »

Has anyone tried a Pacific Action Sail on a Puffin II?
Bernie
BernieM
Folbot Cooper, Pakboat Sport, Innova Sunny, Epic GPX, Oru Kayak, Wike Bicycle Trailer

Christov_Tenn

Re: p-acific action on longhaul

Post by Christov_Tenn »

john allsop wrote:As regard sending photos, easy when you know how , but us older folk have some problems with these devices.
John, do you have any digital photos of your sail, the mounting board, the control board, if it's separate from the mounting board? If you have some, and can email them, I'd be more than happy to post them in my album here. I am interested in seeing how you've got it mounted on your AEII. I'm guessing I'd need something similar for mounting on the RZ96. Additionally, it may be compatible with my Pouch single kayak.

C.

bjorn240

Re: Pacific Action on Longhaul-1

Post by bjorn240 »

Has anyone created a mount for the PA sails to fit the mast mount on the Klepper and Long Haul coaming? That would seem ideal to me from a convenience standpoint.

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

Yes, Klepper America have made such a mount see http://www.myklepper.com

Alm

Post by Alm »

bjorn240 wrote:Has anyone created a mount for the PA sails to fit the mast mount on the Klepper and Long Haul coaming? That would seem ideal to me from a convenience standpoint.
To fit the mast mount - no. Otherwise, this was exactly what I created 3 years ago for Longhaul MK1, when opened this thread. Later I sold MK1 and modified the "saddle" to fit FC Kahuna. The modifying lied mostly in bending the saddle a little more, or straightening it up - don't remember; MK1 and Kahuna have slightly different peak angle of the deck. Photos are here http://foldingkayaks.org/gallery2/main. ... itemId=133. Sorry, captions were gone during the Gallery software upgrade, and I didn't bother writing them again. Hopefully, photos are self-explanatory. There were minor changes to the saddle later - the holes for aft tie-down lines were drilled closer to the aft edge of the saddle.

You can't fit the PA pivoting base onto the Klepper/Longhaul aluminum mast collar. PA base is not a regular mast end that requires a hole or collar. This base consists of 2 cams, and they require a hard surface to rotate on - some plate or saddle. Probably, such a plate can be placed over the mast collar, but I don't know why taking these pains when you can place it right in front of the collar. Considering that the smallest PA is 50" long when furled, the location immediately fore of the mast collar will not work on MK1/AE1. On MK2/AE2 this location may or may not work - it depends on where you will be seated in a double kayak.

Klepper America shows photos of PA rig on sit-on-top kayaks, and it is not clear whether they have any adapter-saddle for Klepper folders. Though, if you are not concerned about deck wear and sail efficiency, you may just strap the PA over the canvas deck, without any saddle. This will also result in excessive stress on D-rings, as the PA will be strapped to only 2 D-rings, rather than to 4 points with saddle.

bjorn240

Post by bjorn240 »

Interesting. I'll have to check out what Klepper USA want for it and/or build my own depending on the answer. Building one should be fairly straight forward -- an aluminum saddle welded to a short stump of aluminum mast ought to do it. If sailing the AE2, I'd likely be alone and seated out back, so the position should work ok.

Alm

Post by Alm »

bjorn240 wrote:an aluminum saddle welded to a short stump of aluminum mast ought to do it. If sailing the AE2, I'd likely be alone and seated out back, so the position should work ok.
Saddle will have to be strapped to D-rings, to prevent its rotation. Or the tube will have to go all the way to the square hole in the floor board (and the tube should have a square boss at the end, of course).

bjorn240

Post by bjorn240 »

Yes, I would use a spare Klepper mast as the basis. An alternate mounting, depending on how much turning moment there is, would be to mount the extend the saddle from the mast mount backwards across the top of the coaming with a vertical bracing across the back of the saddle between the two sides of the coaming. If there is a significant turning moment at the saddle, however, that might damage the coaming.

Alm

Post by Alm »

If you have D-rings, it will be easier to strap the saddle to them, rather than fixing something to the coaming. If you don't have D-rings, Longhaul sells D-patches of Hypalon with steel D-rings, it can be glued to the hull just below the hull-deck seam. This T-shaped part consisting of tube and saddle will be a bulky item in your bag if you travel.

bjorn240

Post by bjorn240 »

It's an Expedition; it has d-rings. But I think you're right. Building a saddle and strapping it on the deck in front of the coaming seems the easiest solution. As far as travel goes, I'm lucky, it's 400m to the water.

Return to “Sailing Gear”