Pacific Action on Longhaul-1

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Alm

Re: Pacific Action on Longhaul-1

Post by Alm »

Mast-saddle welded idea doesn't look bad - it relieves the stress on D-rings significantly. Though, I didn't ahve any D-rings failure neither on MK1 nor on Kahuna with PA1 saddle attached to 4 points.
Another thing to consider (when choosing location of saddle) is the location of D-rings to clip the cotrol line. They should be approximately 40-50" away from the PA1 mast base, and at the same time - within your reach.
Last edited by Alm on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Der olle Hansen

Post by Der olle Hansen »

I've had a PA sail on my Prijon Kodiak, but it's sold now, including the sail... :(
http://picasaweb.google.de/lh/viewPhoto ... 1990094610
(use < arrows > for more pics)
The forces are astonishing low. So strapping it to the D-rings should be enough. I would mount it over the first rib of any boat. (as you see on the pictures above the sail was mounted as far to the bow as possible and I was satisfied with that.) But on a folding kayak you need a saddle to protect the hull and to have a steady base for the masts. I would choose waterproof plywood (and some foam or pieces of an old wetsuit.) for the saddle with a hinge in the top. Then it folds and can be stowed away easily.
I used the sail just for downwind (+/- 10-15 degree) and had no heeling or instability at all, so it was laid-back sailing. But when trying to adjust the sail to winds more from the side heeling and instability increased at once. I avoided that, as I always paddle with my dog laying on deck in front of me http://picasaweb.google.de/lh/viewPhoto ... 8998051154

bjorn240

Post by bjorn240 »

Alex - If I sail from the rear position in the AII, then the control line distance actually seems good to the mast step. That said, the benefit of a padded saddle is that you can move it fore and aft on the deck for better sail trim.

DoH - did you find that the sail trim was best when the sail was all the way forward? It would seem to me that if you are strictly going downwind, having it all the way at the bow would be advantageous, but if you try to broad reach or beam reach, you would want the center of effort closer amidships.

As it is, unless I find a PA for cheap, I'm going to keep playing with the S1 sail that came with my boat, and maybe try to constuct a gennaker for downwind sailing. My friend and I have a little notion about kayaking from Montauk to Block Island next summer, so a good downwind sail would be a nice plus.

Alm

Post by Alm »

Broad reach is perhaps the best course for PA. On beam reach the boat slides to the lee side too much (without leeboard that is). Strictly downwind "run" course PA doesn't seem to like - it's swaying ominously from side to side. I don't think that placing it amidship will improve the speed or sailing angle - it is a downwind sail anyway. Compared to the typical location of PA in the bow, location amidship will improve the stability, but on a barge like AEII sail like PA1 will not cause any stability problem in any location. I would probably consider medium size of PA for AEII - 1.5 sq.meter (if 2 sq. meters feels too much). Mast length of PA1 is almost 60" (not 50", sorry - I forgot that made shorter masts for Kahuna). There were drawings of home-made PA somewhere. For somebody with a sewing machine and desire to spend a few weekends this is possible. OTH, the ordering it from NZ takes just 2 weeks inlcuding shipping and custom colour...

Der olle Hansen - you should've ordered it in red-yellow-black, I guess ;-)... PA does custom colours. Oddly enough, white is custom colour too, so I had to pay extra, becaue wanted it simply white. With PA1 minimum distance between the mast base and the bow clip is recommended 16". This is minimum distance from the base to the clip, no matter where the clip is located relatively to the actual bow, but since it is usually clipped to the bow handle or metal U-bracket, the point 16" aft of that bracket is the fore-most possible location of the mast base.
Sandy shores of the North Sea (or may be Baltic) are definitely more accessible than rocks of BC. Waters must be same cold, though...

Der olle Hansen

Hi Alex!
On my seakayak I had the smallest sail with 1m², that was definitely too small, you can't take enough advantage of moderate breezes. 1,5m² wouls have been the better choice. 2,2m² will be the right dimension for any double seater. I tested my small old-fashioned Klepper sail the first time this summer, I took just the main sail (about 2m²) and it felt good.
Here in Germany PA is sold by Prijon and you get random colors.
Actuallly the German colors are black-red-gold (even if some soldiers in their basic training fly the flag the other way around, which is not well liked...) but it's enough with a tiny flag at the stern :D (as to be seen here: http://picasaweb.google.de/lh/viewPhoto ... 7101112050)

Yes, the pictures were taken at the Baltic Sea. It's not as cold as the North Sea (quite dangerous due to stong tide, heavy currents in the narrow passages between the islands and tricky tideland), because it has no noticeable tide and the German coast has shallow shores, often with sandbanks, so near the beach the water gets 18-22°C in an ordinary summer

And here is the do-it-your-self-link: http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/grantgla ... tssail.htm

Alm

Post by Alm »

Yes, this is the link that I saw. She suggests brass "dog clips"- not sure if this is same as those small clips sold here in hardware stores, but I would use stainless clips, not brass. Brass corrodes very fast in sea water - green corrosion stains your hands and requires periodical cleaning/polishing. Some people like the look of old green corroded brass, but I prefer quality instead. Also, she doesn't say anything about small in-line cleats - the original PA sail has such plastic cleats, sliding along the control line, allowing to cleat the line and free your hands. I have never seen such cleats in stores. Different kind of small cleats can be mounted on wooden coaming of Klepper (instead of inline cleats), and this will work too.

Der olle Hansen

@Alex:
You're looking for those cleats: http://www.clamcleat.com/cleats/cleat_d ... ?theid2=85, aren't you?
They are sliding on the control line, that's right. To fix the sail in any position is easily done with one hand with those cleats. They work fine on tent guylines as well. (Hilleberg uses them, too)

If I can provide you with more links, just aks. You're welcome! :D

Alm

Post by Alm »

Yes, these cleats. Good to know they are available, in case if I lose or break them on my PA. Very small cleats. But this is in UK. Now that I know the name I could locate the US retailer too http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/cl ... /index.htm - note that PA requires what is called "large cleat" on Duckworth page, because there exists a smaller yet!

Return to “Sailing Gear”