Feathercraft Batwing

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

aklinz

Re: Feathercraft Batwing

Post by aklinz »

Just my two cents: Call Doug (or more likely Scott Gater) at F/C. They simply offer the best customer service, bar none! I have been dealing with Doug and his gang since about 1996, and they have never let me down or left me in the lurch. (I don't know how they do this with all the scam artists and whiners out there...) My friend's Klondike has the classic F/C sail (non-battened) and it is reasonable in upwind performance. But my Balogh Batwing Sport 32 is definitely the most efficient upwind sailer. And I cannot stress enough the importance of reefing capability, which the Balogh rig has. In developing high winds out in the Georgia Strait, my (un-reefed) 32 sq. ft. Batwing consistently drove my bow down into the water while running downwind in following seas (natch). Reefing the sail down to 24 sq. ft. (which also allows the sail to be set LOWER on the mast) solved the problem and resulted in far greater control; not to mention reducing the fear factor of watching my F/C K1 beging to "pearl" ... I know all about the issues regarding getting ahold of Mark Balogh, but his rig is worth all the time and trouble. You won't be disappointed in a Balogh Batwing. IMHO the marriage of a Feathercraft K1 and the superlative Batwing is a match made in heaven....
Andrew Klinzmann

Jan Dudda

Post by Jan Dudda »

Andrew, you are adding to my pain of decisions...it should be easy to reef the FC Sabani because of the interceptions, maybe after some modifications. Will check all options. Unfortunately, I am currently so busy because of the move to Germany...Thanks, Jan

tsunamichuck
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by tsunamichuck »

Alm wrote:
PS: another name for Sabani is Junk Rig (also, Chinese Lug sail or Sampan sail). Here is the article (see Points of Sail): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junk_Rig:
Sabani is an Okinawan canoe that is paddled with a single bladed paddle by 2 paddlers or pushed by a small engine. Never saw a sail rig on one.
Feathercraft Kahuna ( Angela )
Mariner Express ( Miruku Maru ) ( In Storage)
Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth

Alm

Post by Alm »

tsunamichuck wrote:
Alm wrote:
PS: another name for Sabani is Junk Rig (also, Chinese Lug sail or Sampan sail). Here is the article (see Points of Sail): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junk_Rig:
Sabani is an Okinawan canoe that is paddled with a single bladed paddle by 2 paddlers or pushed by a small engine. Never saw a sail rig on one.
yeah, and now you see a "Sabani yacht" on the FC website :-)... Japanese names of things and even persons often mean something, so may be this is the case - rather than some brand or even category name? It looks symbolical, though, that something that never had a sail on it, has given a name to a sail rig that isn't good for upwind sailing... Just getting grumpy, sorry... Had to exhaust my brains tonight to locate the right hardware that FC factory wasn't able to locate when designed 2002 Kahuna and 2006 K1...

Agreed with Andrew - FC team makes good kayaks. (And Balogh makes good sale rigs). FC brain-bug is probably Doug. Theresa, the partner, is more an office type. There is also a younger guy, Rob - this one knows pretty much anything on engineering and materials side, don't know his status in the company.

Jan Dudda

Post by Jan Dudda »

Talked to Doug today and he is pretty much convinced that the Sabani is as good upwind as the jib. He says that a problem might have been the somewhat unstable fit to our hardshell kayak. They just put the rig on my K1 and I can't wait to try that out. He also says that the main sail would work great together with the jib on the K1 and that it is easy to reef the Sabani by connecting the interceptions with straps. Let's see...

bigbear

Post by bigbear »

Jan Dudda wrote:Talked to Doug today and he is pretty much convinced that the Sabani is as good upwind as the jib. He says that a problem might have been the somewhat unstable fit to our hardshell kayak. They just put the rig on my K1 and I can't wait to try that out. He also says that the main sail would work great together with the jib on the K1 and that it is easy to reef the Sabani by connecting the interceptions with straps. Let's see...
I would love to see some pics of your sailing rig on the K1. The more the merrier. Thanks!!!

Return to “Sailing Gear”