Older Klepper Sail Rig Questions

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

azfansinnc

Post by azfansinnc »

I have been watching this thread with great interest. My S4 is of a slightly newer design (1962) with the aluminum mast, gaff and boom but otherwise very similar. I also do not have any fittings for the lines save some pulleys for the halyards.

The crossbar for the leeboards on mine will require additional slots to get the leeboards forward to where more current wisdom dictates, about 9-10" from mast. Looks like yours will require the same.

Pretty cool. Keep it up. Scott

Christov_Tenn

Post by Christov_Tenn »

My friend Mike, the guy who helped me get set up to sail last weekend, suggested a pulley (block?) attached to the rudder pedal support post through which to run the line that hangs off the end of the boom closest to the sailor (in this case, me), on its way to the sailor's hand. I really don't have the vocabulary for this, but hopefully will soon acquire some. Anyway, Mike suggested its use would contribute to keeping the aft-end of the boom down, and the entire boom more level in relation to the boat, itself. He even volunteered the hardware and the labor. I ran over there this morning, and this is the result:

I'm hoping to try this out next weekend...

Kapitän von Klepper

Post by Kapitän von Klepper »

Is this for your main sheet line or a cunningham?

I've got a pretty good fix in my mind how I may redesign my crossmember. See other post. It would be about 4" wide and taper in a winged fashion down to the leeboard ends once it was on the outside of the coaming. This to allow it to double as a control board better.
I'm looking at mounting a double block just about where you have your halyard cleat Chris. This would be for a downhaul and a boom vang to cleat off onto the crossmember. This is my main reason for redesigning the sail to lace onto the boom rather than the boom threading through foot of the sail. I'll be able to tweak the performance of the sail. :D

-Andreas

Christov_Tenn

Post by Christov_Tenn »

Main sheet is the line I hold onto to "let out" and bring in the boom? If it is, then that's what the block's for. Isn't the Cunningham close to the intersection of boom and mast? I think the loop I asked about pictured in a previous post is for holding that corner of the sail in place.

I just learned what a boom-vang is yesterday reading this book. I have the 1959 edition, and found folded at the chapter on handling the spinnaker three or four pages from a yachting magazine of the same age, also an article on spinnaker use. The book is extremely well-written, but presupposes a lot of knowledge I haven't got, yet. I first read this book about four years ago, when I knew even less about sailing than I do now, but I needed something to occupy my mind during boring courtroom proceedings while waiting to be called upon to give testimony if necessary.

Christov_Tenn

Post by Christov_Tenn »

Sailing's kind of addictive. I just messed around with it last Sunday, really for the first time. Setting up the rig is a hassle, getting little doodads for it is a hassle, trying to figure out where the wind is, and which way it's blowing is a hassle, yet I find myself wanting to be out in the boat trying to sail. Sort of a low-grad sailing jones. Heck, I even feel guilty about it, because when sailing, I'm getting no exercise.

Thing about paddling is, it's a lot of exercise, clears my head, burns fat, builds endurance. Sailing maybe clears my head in a different way, or did last Sunday. Maybe next time it will clutter my head.

Already, I think lines, cleats, blocks, are all about categorization, organization, and problem solving.

I solved one problem today, and ordered roof-racks for the 850. That should help with impromptu paddles this season.

Kapitän von Klepper

Post by Kapitän von Klepper »

Tell me about it! :roll: It seems the more I sail, the more I think about how I could improve the performance. Well some people make model aeroplanes, I guess I make miniature yachts. :lol:
The weather here has be less than pristine, so I've started mending some of the broken bits on my rig. I replaced the cracked boom (where it hit a channel marker) with a dowel from a broomstick and added an eye and cleat for a leach line. -I plan to replace the tube at the foot of my sail with grommets and lace so I can also add a vang and a proper cunningham.

-Andreas

Return to “Sailing Gear”