Upwind sailrig for sale?

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Jan Dudda

Upwind sailrig for sale?

Post by Jan Dudda »

Does anyone have an used upwind sailrig for feathercraft K1 or/and hardshell kayaks for sale (Balogh batwing/Feathercraft windseeker) ?

Feathercraft is insane expensive and Mark Balogh needs so much time to deliver...

Thanks, Jan

chrstjrn
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by chrstjrn »

Have you thought of making your own rig? I haven't done it, myself, but others on this forum have (at least partly). There is a website for canoe sailors out there, and several books that treat the subject ("Canoe Rig", by Todd Bradshaw, for one). There's probably also a lot of material over on Duckworks.
Chris T.
Klymit Packraft
In storage in the US:
~'91 Klepper A2 w/ BSD schooner rig
'64 Klepper Passat/Tradewind
'64 Klepper T12
Early '90s Old Town Canoe
Previous:
'04 Pakboat Puffin II
'05 Swift (prototype)
'84 Hobie 16.

Jan Dudda

Post by Jan Dudda »

Thanks Chris, yes, that's a great idea and I have looked over a couple of online reports about making your own. Unfortunately, I do not have any tools here to work with these materials and no experience either. I am from Germany and probably will go back next winter. Hope to find a rig ready to install.

chrstjrn

Post by chrstjrn »

Best of luck! Since boating season is around the corner, if you don't find what you are looking for, a more affordable alternative might be a downwind sail. I haven't tried these (either), but many people say that they are more appropriate to a kayak hull than an upwind sail rig. And also more compact, easier to rig, etc. I understand that the better ones have some ability to "reach" (if you are familiar with English sailing terminology-- to sail at 90 degrees to the wind).
Chris T.
Klymit Packraft
In storage in the US:
~'91 Klepper A2 w/ BSD schooner rig
'64 Klepper Passat/Tradewind
'64 Klepper T12
Early '90s Old Town Canoe
Previous:
'04 Pakboat Puffin II
'05 Swift (prototype)
'84 Hobie 16.

Jan Dudda

Post by Jan Dudda »

.hj
Last edited by Jan Dudda on Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jan Dudda

Post by Jan Dudda »

Yes, I already use the Pacific Action Sail (1.5sm) together with a Spiritsail (0.75sm, which can also be used on the K1) on our tandem kayak and it works great with downwind. But the ability to "reach" is really limited (Maybe I just need better skills?). I also like the idea of outriggers in strong winds and difficult conditions.

john allsop

upwind sailrig for sale?

Post by john allsop »

I also have the Pacific Action sail, I have a "line" to each "mast" so that i can pull either back if on a reach, they are supposed to go up wind at about 40 to 45 degrees to the wind , this year i want to prove it. If you want the inconvenience of outriggers the Folbot one is good , also Spring Creek, with these ask for the new 48" stronger arms, also if going up wind you should consider lee boards, (probably also handy on a "reach"). If you look in the photo album section you will see an Aerius 2 with Spring Creek outriggers and an S4 sail. My PA sail is the largest one and i have it on an Aerius 2.

John Monroe

Post by John Monroe »

Jan I made the 43-sqft batwing sail from polytarp and it works great. I had shake out trials last week and it sailed around 40 degrees off upwind. So you can make your own at considerable savings and a lot of satisfaction. The foil shaped leeboard and rudder I think add greatly to the boats sailing abilities. I'm in the process of making a roller reefing jib of about 18 sqft. from left over poly tarp.

John

aklinz

Balogh Batwing

Post by aklinz »

Hello Jan.
I'm sorry, but I would NEVER part with my Balogh BOSS/Batwing 32 sail rig. I have used it on my Feathercraft K1, and a friend has the new Feathercraft upwind sailrig on his Feathercraft Klondike. I will agree with you that Mark Balogh does take a long time to deliver. BUT (and this is a BIG but) you won't be disappointed with his product. It is worth the wait, I assure you ! IMHO the Balogh BOSS/Batwing completely outclasses the F/C rig (and I love my F/C K1 and K-Lite). The Balogh rig has a better sail (battened and reefable); better ridgidity (attaches to the frame, not nylon straps); better aka's (don't rotate or need water chambers); etc. etc. E-Mail me at aklinz@shaw.ca and I can explain better. Respectfully submitted by someone who has used both sail rigs...
Andrew Klinzmann
P.S. If you go to Photobucket and type in "aklinz" you can see a series of photos of a Balogh Batwing installed on a Feathercraft K1

Return to “Sailing Gear”