Help with aka/amas selection please

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Help with aka/amas selection please

Post by gbellware »

I would like to add a setup to my Klepper AE2. I currently use the standard S-4 sail rig, plus hiking seat, hand tiller and traveler (from Long Haul). I would like to add the amas so that I can get my wife back in the boat: she is ordinarily a good sport but getting knocked down in a "rubber canoe with too much sail" (her words, not mine) is not her idea of fun.

I checked with BSD to find that 1) they have none available, and don't know exactly when Scott would be getting to another production run and 2) his aka/amas are over $700, and that is without his leeboard.

So, can anyone suggest an alternative?

I appreciate the advice,

g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

Alm

Re: Help with aka/amas selection please

Post by Alm »

"rubber canoe with too much sail" (her words, not mine)
I like this one :-) ... Though, it's more "wooden" than "rubber".
I checked with BSD to find that 1) they have none available, and don't know exactly when Scott would be getting to another production run and 2) his aka/amas are over $700, and that is without his leeboard.

So, can anyone suggest an alternative?
Balogh is Mark; he never mentioned anybody named Scott in his business - I think it's only him and his wife running the business, everybody else is a hired labour.

You can always go for Folbot amas/akas set, $245 without a leeboard. Folbot leeboard is $150, but I don't recommend it - poorly designed and way to small; at that size it is barely enough to prevent lee drift at cross wind, and on upwind courses it is almost useless. You will have to use Balogh leeboard with Folbot amas/akas; cost is about $300, and you'll have to put a sleeve over the Folbot cross-thwart ($15?), to accomodate larger opening in Balogh leeboard. You might also neeed Balogh clamps ($70?) to attach the cross-thwart to AEII wooden coaming (so the over-sleeve has to cover almost the entire cross-thwart). In other words, you'll need Balogh leeboard (with retaining pin) and Balogh clamps, and the total cost will be under $700 plus shipping from 2 different places, minus more bulky (for travel), slightly less reliable, and slightly less hydrodynamically efficient Folbot amas/akas, minus some labour on measuring and epoxing the over-sleeve. I would rather get the entire Balogh amas/akas set.

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

Alex,

Thanks for the advice. I misspoke (miswrote?) "Scott", I meant "Mark". I spoke at length with his wife, and I don't remember having a more pleasant conversation with a stranger. Those guys have carved out a seriously layed-back lifestyle in rural Virginia.

Sounds to me like I should go with the BSD despite the price. I never doubted the value of his equipment, I was just surprised to find out how much it cost...I had thought a couple a styofoam floats on the ends of a pole would be a lot less costly :D

I think I will call her back and place the order...here's hoping for delivery in 2008.

Best,
g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

Alm

Post by Alm »

gbellware wrote:I spoke at length with his wife, and I don't remember having a more pleasant conversation with a stranger. Those guys have carved out a seriously layed-back lifestyle in rural Virginia.
Yeas, they sounded relaxed every time on the phone. I think her name is Sam.
here's hoping for delivery in 2008.
Only if you get lucky and very persistent. Somewhere in late December, perhaps. But don't call them until after, say, 2 months. Small parts he has in stock, but everything else is made when order comes.
It's not like I'm degrading Folbot amas/akas - you can go for it and save $300 or so. But because of the Balogh clamps and leeboard you won't save any time on such a "combo".

Romainpek

Post by Romainpek »

you can also try this german klepper accessory dealer :

http://www.careen.eu/contents.php?id=50

but it's around 500 EUROS...

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

If you havn,t seen the outriggers by Spring Creek look in the photo gallery at Chris Wilkes set up. You can get the widest centre section, called a "universal reciver" and order the "special outboard arms" as supplied to Chris and John Allsop, this will give you a 10ft spread, the pontoons are not big and are molded, if you want more flotation two can be put on each side, these have a vertical adjustment so they can be above the waves when the boat is level, also look at "sail boats to go", he sells what looks like the spring creek set up and also has an inflatable pontoon system. You will need to use the klepper lee boards, at least i do, on the folbot outriggers i made my own deeper leeboard for the folbot.

Return to “Sailing Gear”