Outriggers using the paddles

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

vangelis
forum fanatic

Outriggers using the paddles

Post by vangelis »

I found a manufacturer that was selling rigs, daggerboards and outrigger systems for Klepper.
One of the systems was mounted on the mast and the outriger bridge was created by the two parts of the paddle.

I am afraid I can not find the site any more..

Does anyone know it?

Alm

Re: Outriggers using the paddles

Post by Alm »

http://www.careen.eu/contents.php?id=50 this one may be. All such "double use" ideas don't work same well as a designated outrigger like Balogh or Folbot, not to mention situations when you need to paddle with outrigger installed (maneuvering through the wind or simply augmenting your sailing speed).

vangelis
forum fanatic

Post by vangelis »

Thats the one ..Thanks

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

Alex is right of course don,t put yourself in a situation where you need your paddle and can,t use it because it,s clamped to the coaming with pontoons on the end. I seem to recall someone puting sails on his kayak and has he now had a "sail boat" he left his paddle behind, of course when he turned "turtle" the paddle may not have helped. It can be interesting when sailing to paddle as well but take care the paddle can be pulled from your hands.

Alm

Post by Alm »

Guys on a sailing catamaran once had to borrow my spare paddle simply to cover 100 or 200 meters to the dock. The dock was close, but there was no wind and a slight current in the opposite direction. I carry a spare paddle when there is a room for it. But using my good paddle for an outrigger doesn't appeal to me much, and using a "bad", spare paddle for outrigger - OK, then I could use a designated cross-thwart as well, and it would be more more efficient. The only benefit of such a double use of a spare paddle is weight savings - about 2 lb (the difference of weight of aluminum cross-thwart compared to weight of low-end spare paddle), and even though I'm obsessed with weight savings, in my opinion it doesn't overweigh the efficiency and reliability factors.

Return to “Sailing Gear”