Wayland Amazon sailing gear

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

HughW

Wayland Amazon sailing gear

Post by HughW »

Can anybody point me towards information, preferably with some images, on how to rig a Wayland Amazon? I just bought it and haven't tried sailing it yet. It did not come with any instructions, and those on Wayland's website are in Polish. Google's translators didn't work very well! Maybe it'll be self-evident once I start. I'm also hoping to add outriggers - any suggestions there would also be appreciated. Careen will supply them, but at 500 euros plus shipping. Maybe that's a good deal, I don't know.

Alm

Re: Wayland Amazon sailing gear

Post by Alm »

to add outriggers - any suggestions there would also be appreciated. Careen will supply them, but at 500 euros plus shipping. Maybe that's a good deal, I don't know.
Balogh outriggers + leeboard will cost the same, and will be more compact. Their amas (floats) are inflatable, and Careen has both inflatable and rigid ones as I recall. Rigid may work if you have a big van and never plan to fly anywhere, but if they are not properly hydrodynamically shaped, it will hinder your speed. For upwind sailing leeboard size and quality is crucial, - some leeboards are simply not capable to keep you on upwind course, and Balogh's leeboard is the best I've ever seen. Also, Balogh's clamps (to fix outrigger to wooden cockpit of Klepper or Longhaul) are well made, they don't put too much stress on the wooden coaming. I don't know if Wayland's coaming profile is any different from Klepper's - on the photos it looks the same. Balogh is slow to deliver, though, so if you order now (and phone after 4-5 months), you'll get it somewhere next summer.

dbuche708

Post by dbuche708 »

Can anyone confirm that with the Amazon sail rig there are 6 spar pieces -- 2 for the mast, two for the boom and two for the yard? I seem to have received only 2 sets of two pieces. I am hoping I am wrong -- I will be sending Wayland a photo tomorrow to see if I am missing anything. Not having good instructions is a challenge.

I am happy with the Wayland A2 hull.

Here is a site that may help others: http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_ur ... =Translate

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

I have just looked at the Wayland web site and it looks like the LATIN sail set has a mast in two parts and both"booms" are in two parts so i think you should have received six pieces. As regards setting up take your time and i think you will find it goes together ok, if you can ,do it at home it might take an hour or two. You will probably put the mast up and take it down as you forgot the "line"that pulls up the sail, i know as i have done that on occasions. As regards outriggers, balogh are considered the best (i havn,t seen them), you could also consider ones from "sail boats to go", "spring creek"or folbot. I have the folbot ones and the ones from spring creek, they work. I think folbot are a poor design, if you consider the ones from "spring creek" ask for the longer outer arms which are not in their catalog . All this assembly takes time, once you add add sails,leeboards and outriggers the assembly time will become long.

Return to “Sailing Gear”