lateen sail

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

lateen sail

Post by john allsop »

I have been told the Lateen sail is a good all round sail, works well in any direction including "up wind". Can any one with experience of this type of sail comment. Sail boats to go and spring creek sell them at reasonable cost.

Alm

Re: lateen sail

Post by Alm »

john allsop wrote:I have been told the Lateen sail is a good all round sail, works well in any direction including "up wind". Can any one with experience of this type of sail comment. Sail boats to go and spring creek sell them at reasonable cost.
He can, I guess ;-)... http://koti.welho.com/tnoko/mexico/eng.html. This looks like lateen sail to me. Just kidding. Despite wealth of information and practical experience, it's difficult to make him talk long enough (if at all). So you better don't.

Another source is Yahoo sailing canoes group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sailing_canoes/. Just specify what boat and in what configuration you plan to use it (monohull, one-sided outrigger, double-sided outrigger, single-sail or schooner, etc).

There is no such thing as good or best all-around sail. Yes, lateen is suitable well for small craft, and it is more efficient (on any craft, I think) than quadrilateral "lug sail" and other used by Europeans centuries ago. I am not surprised that it is inexpensive - it is easy to make yourself, this is essentially zero-camber sail, just a flat triangular cloth. Keep in mind that it can't be partially reefed - it's either "on", or "off" mode. Folbot used to make them in the past, and their today's furled on the mast triangular sail is said to be more convenient to operate than the old lateen - and I can understand this. Even though from all I know, today's Folbot sail (speaking of mast/boom/sail only), despite it's reefing possibility, is neither too reliable (poor V-clamp design) nor convenient to dismantle on water and stow aboard .

seajak

Re: lateen sail

Post by seajak »

G'day John,

The lateen sail is a good small boat sail because it is self-vanging. Tension on the downhaul prevents the end of the boom rising as the sheets are eased off the wind without the addition of extra hardware such as a boom vang. Other traditional rigs which achieve the same effect are the sprit-boomed leg'o'mutton and the balanced lug. The mast of the sprit boomed sail would be too long for a kayak but the balanced lug has a shorter mast and can be easily reefed. Michael Storer has some pictures of a suitable sail. Note that the boom protrudes in front of the mast so that the downhaul keeps the luff taught which stops the boom rising. A simple lug sail can easily be made from polytarp without seams but with some rounding on the top edge to match the bend in the yard. This will allow the sail to flatten in gusts.

cheers,
clay

Return to “Sailing Gear”