Plans for Klepper leeboards?

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

PK

Plans for Klepper leeboards?

Post by PK »

Hi,

I want to make a pair of leeboards for my AEII, using the current Klepper design. Would anyone here be able to send me some dimensions, pics and/or line drawings of the leeboards?

The pair I have now are old, heavy and ugly steel leeboards that look like giant table tennis paddles (ex-Pouch, I believe) and do not work well at all.

Can't afford to buy new leeboards from Klepper, not with 1 euro currently worth 13 rand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

PK

Romainpek

Re: Plans for Klepper leeboards?

Post by Romainpek »

PK

Post by PK »

Romainpek, thanks, that's a good start. How thick are they, and are they sandwich construction?

One more question: how does the crosspiece attach to the washboard. On the Pouch rig, there's are two brass J-hooks which hook under the washboard on the inside of the cockpit and are tightened with wingnuts.

It's a poor arrangement. I'm unhappy with the thought that with regular use, the J-bolts will abrade the canvas at that point, but the J-bolts are also very small and have poor grip. Almost every time I've gone sailing, at some point one of the J-bolts loses its grip and crosspiece comes loose. :shock: No fun in a 10-knot breeze. And since I already have my hands full sailing without outriggers and a full rig (including a jib from a sailing dinghy), the last thing I need is crucial gear coming adrift.

Thanks for your help.

cheers

Paul

Romainpek

Post by Romainpek »

leeboard measurements:
length = 75 cm
Narrow width = 10 cm
Wide width = 25 cm
Thickness = 9 mm
Material = marine plywood 7 ply

For the attachment of the J clamp, it goes under the gunwale but OUTSIDE of the coaming

PK

Post by PK »

Romain,

Thanks, you've been a great help!

I reckon I should order some original J-clamps from Klepper - it's a MUCH better system than Pouch's. And thanks for the leeboard dimensions.

cheers

PK

Return to “Sailing Gear”