a different goose neck?

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

mussopo
forum fanatic

a different goose neck?

Post by mussopo »

Working on a small sail I'm trying to build from scratch (I've got the tissue already), initially I was planning to build it boomless (for simplicity and inexpensive reasons)...on an hinged mast (for stowing during paddling only reasons), but I'm guessing that it would not be so effective as one with a small boom (sail is about the size of an Optimist's).
The overall rig would be as light as possible.
Given the hinged mast, I guess I'll need a special goose neck for that boom, but this one I want it to be flexible enough to fold when furling (or folding down) the sail too from the rear seat of my Klep. Hinged mast can be fixed by means of bungee and a safety leash from this position.
Any suggestions are welcome.

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: a different goose neck?

Post by john allsop »

The present fork used by Klepper might be the way to go , on old Klepper set up,s they had a "funny" looking hook through the mast which the "boom" fitted onto, i think Andreas made his own "fork". If i remember correct their are photos in the"gallery" of the present Klepper set up. (copies of kleppers instructions".

mussopo
forum fanatic

Re: a different goose neck?

Post by mussopo »

You're right about fork solution, but Kapitän's layout seems quite similar to an Optimist rig.
My main concern is the line that holds the boom "laid down", by means of an eyelet in the boom and a cleat in the mast (as is depicted through Kapitän's).
In my case, i'll need that line slacked in order to furl my "future" sail and stow it on klep deck... controlled by the "rear seated skipper", and i still don't figure it out how i could manage it. Maybe it would be simpler to let the boom held only by main sheet?
Thanks for reply.

...think I've got it! I'm gonna fix the boom with same leash that holds the hinged mast (this way any time I release it, the boom slackens too). That fork is a great simple idea (thanks for reminding)

Return to “Sailing Gear”