Home made outriggers

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Romainpek

Re: Home made outriggers

Post by Romainpek »

From sail boat to Go website :
The Hydrodynamic floats are 42" long x 6" max. width & depth. They are hollow, rigid, high-impact plastic. Weight for the whole system is about 9 lbs.for the Ethafoam stabilizer; or 16 lbs for the Hydrodynamic stabilizer.
Mine are 120 x 20 x 15 cm (= 47" x 8" x 6") so they are a bit bigger, but then they have a V section and a smaller length at the keel than at the deck while the "Hydrodynamics" have straight side and almost straight bow and stern. I would then expect the buoyancy to be about the same.

Romainpek

Post by Romainpek »

Update on my last week end improvements:

I removed the waste bag around the foam

Then I rasped the extra foam

Then I started the covering with PVC

Alm

Post by Alm »

Some predictions and suggestions, if I may. Unless your PVC skin is same tough as skin of a good SOF kayak, it will soon wear out and develop leaks, beginning from the areas where it's tight against the frame. And when water comes in, it will stay in, because there is a room for it. And when it stays in, your amas become heavy and the whole vessel behaves as if you threw a drogue anchor - it can barely move forward. One thing you can do is to take a can of spray foam and fill those voids between the foam chunks. Ideally, rigid amas should be either solid foam, or covered with plywood.

John Monroe

Post by John Monroe »

Keep an eye on your foam for a while. I once used spray insulating foam on a kayak seat bottom to conform it with the bottom of the boat. But the foam kept slowly changing shape. But I like your idea of your sponsor wrapped in a plastic bag and foam applied. Thanks for the idea.

John

Romainpek

Post by Romainpek »

Hello,

The PVC I used is the same kind that I used on 2 real SOF kayaks, so I hope it will hold long enough to validate if the outriggers' dimensions are correct or not.

The foam is just there to keep the thing afloat, even should it be totally flooded. Up to now, I'm not that happy about the foam spray, it seems to expand mostly in areas I don't need, but stops quickly where I want it to grow.

I tried to limit creases on the hulls, so I got an awful looking pair of decks. To hide things a bit, I added a blue PVC layer on top, but when I'll have time, I think a little wooden deck will look better

I finished the second outrigger tonight. Now I'll need to try them...

John Monroe

Post by John Monroe »

Looks great.

John

Romainpek

Post by Romainpek »

Thank you John!

Here they are when I J-clamped them today on my Klepper:

This afternoon was the first trial of the outriggers. The skies were blue but the wind very strong (to my taste) and highly irregular. Gusts after gusts, reaching maybe up to 5 before falling to 2 or 3.

Alas, there are almost no pictures of our adventure, except this one just after we left the muddy shore:

As I read that using the jib only was safer when the wind is strong, that's what we did at the beginning. We were on a run, going fast, when I realized that we forgot wearing our life-jackets.

Turning back to where we started using only the jib was really an ordeal. Mostly paddling, we managed to get back to the car and took the jackets.

Then away again we went, this time using the jib and the mainsail, plus towing another kayak on a leash. We went really fast with the chop until we reached the wider part of the lake. There, we got rid of the towed kayak and fought against the elements for the next hour.

Happy to say that the Klepper rig is quite strong, and that the outriggers held beautifully too. Their position quite far back from the leeboards and the Center Of Efforts did not cause any trouble, the drag they caused seemed negligible, and were they useful ! No way we could have held more than 10 mn upright in such a weather without them.

Twice, I saw one of them totally under the surface, and still they were keeping us afloat. As they are held only at the center and with a long beam, they porpoise when facing the chop, but it seemed that it was designed on purpose (while this came out totally unexpected for me).

After coming back safe on shore, I realized that one of them was filled with water while the other stayed dry: probably the blue deck cover was not well glued to all the edges of one. It's true I did not expect them to fully submerge at times.

Conclusion: the outriggers do really work well, I'm very happy. And I have to get used to sail into stronger winds (thanks to my partner in front that kept saying that he saw much worse, that the rig was fine, that the wind was great, etc, I did not panic too often...).

p.s. : I don't know what's wrong with the pics, each time I use the IMG thing, it says: "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image." and it refuses to post...

P.P.S. May 8th : Hoorray, the size limit has been removed for a while, so I can show the pics
Last edited by Romainpek on Thu May 07, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

Congratulations on a successful project, they look good, work well, as if they couldn,t and will provide that measure of stability you need but at the expense of a restricted paddling stroke, but then you can try different locations along the coaming if you are alone. Don,t forget your life jacket as the boat can still go over.

Romainpek

Post by Romainpek »

Thanks for the comments. Forgetting the life jackets was purely due to the excitement of trying the outriggers. When I realized, we immediately turned back to fetch them.

If somebody is interested, now that they have been tried and proven, I can give the community the dimensions and method of construction of these outriggers.

Now for me, the emergency is in enlarging the rudder. A lot.

John Monroe

Post by John Monroe »

Congratulations also on a fine project Romainpek. I have never seen a SOF skin over frame pontoons built by anyone before on the web. If you have time later on you might show more detail on building your pontoons. They would make a nice winter project after the sailing season is over with. As you gain more sailing experience with them I would like to hear your comments.

I posted your pictures for you. It seems they can't be any wider then 640 pixels.
John Monroe

ROMAINPEK'S PICTURES

Romainpek

Post by Romainpek »

We went sailing again, this time in much lighter wind. The outriggers worked perfectly. Image

I have made a Powepoint set of instructions so you can do your own version of these outriggers. The link for downloading is on this page of my Gallery : http://foldingkayaks.org/gallery2/main. ... &g2_page=2

There is no Icon, but it seems to work... please confirm.
Last edited by Romainpek on Thu May 07, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alm

Post by Alm »

Give Moderator a yell via pm. He changed some settings after a recent spam-robot attack. I had a similar problem - mid-size pictures couldn't be linked to the forum, the interface responded that it "can't determine the picture size" :-)...

Romainpek

Post by Romainpek »

Exactly my symptoms ! OK, I PM...

p.s. : It worked !
Last edited by Romainpek on Thu May 07, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Monroe

Post by John Monroe »

Romainpeck, your instructions worked perfect. I put them on my hard drive and also on a DVD disk for safe keeping. Thanks for taking the time to put this together for us. I will use your instructions as a guide for a winter project.

Thanks a lot,
John

Romainpek

Post by Romainpek »

So, don't be surprised of a few comments above regarding pictures posting problems, they have been solved since.

The download works, as we got a confirmation from John Monroe.

It would be nice, if anybody is inspired by the instructions, that he should post here a picture of his work with comments on improving the look / use of the outriggers.

I let you work now, I must myself progress on a new rudder blade.

Return to “Sailing Gear”