Home made outriggers

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Romainpek

Re: Home made outriggers

Post by Romainpek »

So, we're at 24 downloads (plus my trial, 25), did anybody start building yet ?

MoeJoe

Post by MoeJoe »

Sweet looking sailing setup! 8) Looks like lots of fun.

John Monroe

Post by John Monroe »

Romainpek I was sidetracked. I am building a new boat called a PDRacer. The PD stands for Puddle Duck. It is a Class sailing boat, and simple to build. Only 4 feet wide and 8 feet long. The bottom 8 inches of the hull all must conform to specifications but from 8 inches up any thing goes. I will put the mast at the bow and also at the at the stern as in the picture and raked forward to hold one large roller reefing sail of about 75 sqft. The top picture of rigging by a fellow in Germany is what I am after.

John
Attachments
P2CAFP8N8YCAL0QFGXCA2A7RN1CAXF63SKCAL5R58GCAPW5S9ICA3IIVFTCAYUF5ZLCAU8L9Q2CAOV7PGGCAGZFNQOCA6JHNFPCAOL8Y5JCA75HC82CAL68UCECA1T4FUXCA1LRABFCAQD2AXSCAGNX10C.jpg
P2CAFP8N8YCAL0QFGXCA2A7RN1CAXF63SKCAL5R58GCAPW5S9ICA3IIVFTCAYUF5ZLCAU8L9Q2CAOV7PGGCAGZFNQOCA6JHNFPCAOL8Y5JCA75HC82CAL68UCECA1T4FUXCA1LRABFCAQD2AXSCAGNX10C.jpg (27.26 KiB) Viewed 338 times
P1030038.JPG
P1030038.JPG (64.87 KiB) Viewed 338 times

Romainpek

Post by Romainpek »

I read about the PD Racer class, they seem to be a lot of fun. Their shape is really the opposite of a kayak...

Looking at your pictures above, if I understood well, your boat will be powered by a sort of a giant jib and no mainsail, isn't it ?

John Monroe

Post by John Monroe »

Yes, a giant jib is a good way to describe it. Without a boom I don't know how well it will sail to wind but I like the idea of having the large roller reefing sail for various weather conditions. I'll have to make a new poly sail for this. In the meantime I can slip my mast in the bow and use my regular sails for sailing. I figure I am about two or three weeks away from putting it into the water.

John

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

Phil Bolger once designed a boat using a single large staysail like this. The idea was in part to get around rules about sail size, I think. But it's a neat way to do a boomless sail.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

John Monroe

Post by John Monroe »

I've seen some of Phil Bolger's boat designs but not the one you mentioned. Shorty Pen built the Bolger "Brick" and from that came up with the PD Racer and made the class rules for it. Phil died with in the last month.

John

Return to “Sailing Gear”