Feathercraft Sea Wings

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Alm

Feathercraft Sea Wings

Post by Alm »

Question to anybody who used those Sea Wings, or knows any published materials - any info is appreciated. I'm thinking of using it as a quick temporary stabilizer if one of BSD amas suddenly fails (see my post "Staying Upright" viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2606). I saw an article, 90% positive that it was in Watertribe Magazine, but can't find it anymore. WT Magazine has deleted many articles for some reason. The article was about installing BSD sail and outriggers on water, on a hardhsell kayak, and this included temporary deployment of Sea Wings. Mike (Moderator) had these Wings for sale a while ago - Mike, if you had a chance to use them, even if they are already sold, may be you could provide some info, offline or online? Eventually I could go to the factory and see what they have to say, but getting unbiased feedback from the manufacturer... you know...

mje
Site Admin

Re: Feathercraft Sea Wings

Post by mje »

Alex- I never had them on the boat. I thought they were a great idea, but the inventor poisoned the well, as it were, with his ranting.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

Alm

Post by Alm »

Mike - I think this has some public interest, otherwise I would've asked off-line the details - was it FC Sea Wings that you had, or was it made by Tim Ingram? I thought FC had their own model of the Wings. Tim was making his Wings too, and then got sick, lost the touch with reality, and is probably no longer in business. But FC still has some Wings in their product line.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

I had the FC Sea Wings. Did they make them from the start, or did they buy from Tim? They had custom rigging designed for various FC boats.
Michael Edelman

John Monroe

Post by John Monroe »

Alex, this is all I could find on anyone having your seawings information and you were already involved in the conversation in 2002.
http://www.kayakforum.com/cgi-bin/Techn ... /read/8958
You could possibly make a seawing of sorts using your paddle float with a a short rope and a long rope attached to the float. The long rope running under your boat to one AKA and the short rope running to the AKA that has the disabled sponsor and only put on after the sponsor failure

John

Alm

Post by Alm »

John Monroe wrote:this is all I could find on anyone having your seawings information and you were already involved in the conversation in 2002.
http://www.kayakforum.com/cgi-bin/Techn ... /read/8958
You could possibly make a seawing of sorts using your paddle float with a a short rope and a long rope attached to the float. The long rope running under your boat to one AKA and the short rope running to the AKA that has the disabled sponsor and only put on after the sponsor failure
Yeah, it was like me talking to deaf in that link. They were in the middle of heated discussion on whether to use or not to use Sea Wings in self rescue of a monohull kayaker, and they called it "sponsons" (one of the first manufacturers was Tim Ingram). Eventually the majority decided that "sponsons" (within their meaning and usage of this item) was evil :-) ... None of them sails a kayak as a trimaran with inflatable amas and they had no clue what I was talking about.

John, - I don't carry a paddle float when sailing a trimaran. Akas are always in place. Running any ropes under the boat after the incident is not a fast solution, and temporary stabilizer has to be installed fast, before sudden wind gust or broaching wave flips me over. If I will have 5-7 minutes and/or relatively calm weather, I can remove the aka and replace the disabled ama with a spare one. Sailing and paddling with a rope under the boat before the incident (i.e. all the time) I don' want either. The article that I saw was about using Sea Wings as a temporary stabilizer when installing BSD sail rig on a hardshell kayak on water, - can't find it anymore.

John Monroe

Post by John Monroe »

Alex you pretty well know what you want for your safety. If you have an extra pontoons as a spare, (I didn't understand you had an extra)installing it even in calm water looks to be a problem to me. As soon as it warms up here in Indiana I will try it on my calm pond with my Folbot aka/ama and see if I think it is possible and let you know the results. In the situation you describe on a large body of water with a pontoon failure I would drop the sail, throw out a sea anchor and you would probably have all the time you needed to make repairs. That's when I would use my paddle float with ropes to set up a temporary sea wing if that was even needed. I know you are keeping your weight down on your trip and so a sea anchor and 150 ft of rope may be out of the question.

John

Alm

Post by Alm »

John Monroe wrote: In the situation you describe on a large body of water with a pontoon failure I would drop the sail, throw out a sea anchor and you would probably have all the time you needed to make repairs. That's when I would use my paddle float with ropes to set up a temporary sea wing if that was even needed. I know you are keeping your weight down on your trip and so a sea anchor and 150 ft of rope may be out of the question.
I carry 50 ft of rope under my seat, and could carry 150 ft. Sea anchor, being merely a bag or parachute, won't weight too much too. I only doubt it will help me with keeping the balance. It helps keeping the boat in fixed location and fixed orientation, as I understand. I need to research, don't know almost anything about this thing. The boat with the sail let out (and dropped only partially or not at all, as lowering large sail and fixing it to the deck is in itself a threat to the boat balance) normally assumes 0 degree orientation to the wind anyway. it's mostly sudden wind gust or rogue broaching wave that I'm afraid of (with a failed ama), - not shore rocks.

John Monroe

Post by John Monroe »

Alex, here are a couple of links for sea anchors that I had saved for myself.

A sailing technique taught to me decades ago to keep a sail boat somewhat like if you had a sea anchor was to let the main sail just weather vain and turn the rudder either towards the sail or opposite, can't remember which way now and leave it. The boat would just sit in that one position and hardly even drift. When I had my catamaran sail boat and wanted to sun bath I would use this technique and it seemed the boat would hardly move. When I would sun bath with the sail down it seemed I would drift much faster. That's what It felt like anyway. I don't know what this maneuver is called and I have never heard or read about it.

John

http://www.sea-anchors.com/

http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&p=224054

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

Michael Edelman

Alm

Post by Alm »

Worth trying. In my situation without a "head sail" (working as a "brake") it means stalling the boat in "irons" - turn into wind, cleat the mainsail and lock the rudder. Have some doubts in my case, because 1) No head sail, 2) who knows what happens to my balance when doing this with a disable ama, and 3) he writes about "heaving to" from upwind course, but doing this maneuver from downwind course will require more turning around, so again, uncertainty with the balance during the maneuver.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

You really need the jib to do this right, so that the jib is pushing the boat one way and the main another.
Michael Edelman

John Monroe

Post by John Monroe »

I'm going to try the "heave to" as soon as I the weather warms up. But the "heave to" isn't what I was doing, as least not the way it was depicted here. I had a genoa on my cat but only used my main sail for what I was doing.

Say you are sailing on a starboard tack. Just let your sail out all the way so it becomes a weather vain. When you come to a stop turn the tiller towards the sail and lash it. As I said the tiller could have been turned the other way and it's been so long that I forget. But I didn't perceive any drift. Anyway, try this maneuver also and see what you think.

John

Return to “Sailing Gear”