Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Romainpek

Re: Klepper Quatro XT / Proa / Single outrigger / Rudder Mod

Post by Romainpek »

I can't see the GPS stuff...

QuattroRexT

Post by QuattroRexT »

Romainpek wrote:I can't see the GPS stuff...
I converted the GPS route file from a .tiff to a .jpg. Did that do the trick?

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

Thank you, yes it worked. This is a wonderfull project and many of us if not all are interested.

QuattroRexT

Post by QuattroRexT »

Thanks John. It's fun for me to share as well. Here in San Diego, while they must be around, I've never seen another folding kayak. When folks see mine, on land, they just cock their heads like an inquisitive dog. On the water, they seem to think it’s pretty amazing. When I tell them it fits "in" a car, they don't seem to believe me. Hopefully, with this site, I can find a local or two who would like to hook up. It's nice to share my OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) with likeminded folks.

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

It seems odd that folders are few and far between, i have the only one,s in town with numerous sail rigs. People here fish and hunt very few paddle just for "fun" or exercise and no one sails so i have lakes virtually to my self and the loons. No one sees me put them together or take them apart. There are a few lakes within a 15 min drive quite small but big enough to paddle and sail. The nearest folder i have found to me is in Thunder Bay about 400KM away, the person has a Klepper and we are hoping to meet but overnight trips are not possible at present and the winter i,m sorry to say is now putting in it,s appearance although we will have fall first.

QuattroRexT

Post by QuattroRexT »

Since my last post, I’ve fabricated a new tiller... had to make some modifications once at the water and mounted to the boat. Won’t go into it here unless you’d like to hear. The past rudder photo’s are close enough. Bottom line is, the faster the boat goes, the more constant and stable, straighter track (less side drift) that boat is. Again, with speed, I could let go of the rudder, look back and it was straight with no ama induced yaw this time. I'd read a post about a guy having trouble tacking... A while back, I learned a technique for tacking every time, (no backward sailing) even turning to port, against an ama. Keep the jib and main close, as if sailing almost straight into the wind. Begin the turn, don't release the jib - keep it tight in. Let the bow turn into the wind. When you see the jib fill the other side, wait a tick or two, and then release and haul it to the other side. The jib does all the work. Worked perfectly on every tack. Even against the ama.

On this run, I wanted to confirm that the size of the rudder was ok. (it was)
I wanted to be sure the aka thwarts would be stable on the coaming in rougher water and with heavier winds. Seemed to work very well. I continue to be surprised at that.
P9110083.jpg
P9110083.jpg (135.51 KiB) Viewed 323 times
I also wanted to look at speed –vs- drag with the ama in and out of the water. So, with the ama flying out of the water on the windward side I got a speed. Then right away, same sail set opposite direction, see what the speed was with the ama digging in on the lee side. I did this test a few times because it had to be slowing me when on the lee side and digging in. But I sure couldn’t see it. Maybe a half mile per hour but… certainly no obvious difference. Surprised me. This particular ama is pretty “slick” on the water and I think I chose well.
P9110103.jpg
P9110103.jpg (132.53 KiB) Viewed 323 times
Since most of my testing has been with a friend, I’d not measured my speeds solo. So I ran a track, dropped him off on shore, then ran the same track. I think his 175 pounds might have cost me a half knot or so. But again, too close to call.
P9110145.jpg
P9110145.jpg (128.7 KiB) Viewed 323 times
I do know that the boat was far less twitchy with him on board. Still stable but I think, in wind, the boat moves a bit quicker with the initial hit of a gust. In smooth consistent winds, it was the same with or without a passenger. Gusty got a little more exciting but nothing near what it was like sailing without the ama. I’ve had the boat for 6 years now and made all these modifications since I started posting. I must say, great to have a new toy. I have a few more things to do that will help the sails up and down faster and smoother. I think these changes will make it even better. I'll post a few photos of the last test. Hopefully, they will show the speed winds etc.

Though highly unlikely, I hope you’ve enjoyed this project as much as I.
Last edited by QuattroRexT on Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

QuattroRexT

Post by QuattroRexT »

P9110180.jpg
P9110180.jpg (132.59 KiB) Viewed 317 times
A few more photos

In wind, ama on lee side and digging in. Still, the system held together fine!
P9110179.jpg
P9110179.jpg (108.77 KiB) Viewed 317 times
You can see the wake from the boat, the ama digging and... it held strong...the aka thwarts, akas and all!
Attachments
P9110206.jpg
P9110206.jpg (133.91 KiB) Viewed 316 times

QuattroRexT

Post by QuattroRexT »

I love it when a plan comes together...

Take care all.
Attachments
P9110247.jpg
P9110247.jpg (251.34 KiB) Viewed 311 times

Return to “Sailing Gear”