Making a bigger rudder for a Klepper AE2

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Romainpek

Re: Making a bigger rudder for a Klepper AE2

Post by Romainpek »

I tried today the new rudder.

Overall, it's better than the original one because it turns better and there is a better feeling about the steering.

The drawback is that its own weight (even without tensioning the bungee) stops it from being raisable / lowerable anymore by pulling the Klepper rudder string. Basically, you must put the rudder down before you leave the shore when you start.

While sailing, the new blade hit the ground several times and even a sunken stone wall once and the bottom front corner of the foil is still fine. However the very top opening of the new rudder (where the slit is) has been slightly damaged probably due to force exerted by the metal blade within. So the opening must be reinforced by a strong wood band laid around, just like a mini-gunwale.

John Monroe

Post by John Monroe »

Maybe you can make a different rudder after the sailing season is over with. Here are a couple of links for ideas.

John

http://imageevent.com/brads_waterworld/ ... 1&b=12&l=5

http://www.watertribe.com/Magazine/Default.aspx
This link has a rudder you can build.

Alm

Post by Alm »

Watertribe rudder kit doesn't have actual rudder blade on the list. Which is odd, because they do show a photo demonstrating how rigid is the Watertribe blade compared to Klepper blade.

Leaving aside the blade, this Watertribe kit requires a stern different from Klepper or Folbot or FC - it has to be either flat transom like in Sunfish sailboat, or all-rigid stern like in Kruger canoe (then you either cut 1" of stern off, to make a flat transom, or use side brackets fastened left and right to the hull.

Romainpek

Post by Romainpek »

Honestly, my new rudder works great. I just need to strengthen the upper part where the opening is.

We crossed some big weed patches and these did not stay caught.

We hit underwater rocks and the blade just raised by itself without sustaining any damage.

As it is removable without any safety line (yet) linking it to the metal blade, I feared we might lose it when we went fast and it was not fully vertical anymore (there is a certain speed that makes it vibrate, just like the original rudder) but no, it stayed firm where it was.

When tacking, you can feel a stronger push than without the added foil. However, to be honest, I must admit I failed 3 tacks in a row when the wind slowed at one time when we were going upwind in a narrow place. But altogether, in 2 and a half hours of sailing, it still is a good result.

When using the klepper as a non sailing kayak, I will simply remove the foil and use the original klepper rudder.

Romainpek

Post by Romainpek »

I found the time to strengthen the top of the rudder with a (rudder blade shaped) cut-out thin plank. 2 pieces have been glued underneath and across to prevent the plank from splitting. I tried it twice and it works well so far.

Maybe the next improvement would be to attach a lead band underneath so it stays more vertical...

Springwalker

Post by Springwalker »

Hi Roman: you are a good woodworker indeed!

Weeks ago there was a Klepper prewar Super T6 double for sale in my neighborhood. The rudder had the same shape like on later (60s/80s) Aerius but this thing was so much larger. It was stunning big as a cake tin.

By the way, mostly what makes a much better feeling of control is not a larger blade but a much wider >please somebody help me with translation< "Steuerjoch, steering-yoke" (in German).

regards, Frank

John Monroe

Post by John Monroe »

Hi Roman,

I was getting ready to build a set of pontoons inspired by the ones you built but got sidetracked
a couple of months ago and built the PDRacer. It took about 6 weeks to build and I had to build a side lifting system to get the boat on the car rack. What is amazing about this little boat is it comes about into the wind with very little effort. I had problems with my sailing kayak with pontoons coming about into the winds and usually gibed around with the wind at my back.

You can put a bungee cord on your rudder to keep it down, that's what I do.

John
Attachments
ag26^0004.jpg
ag26^0004.jpg (77.94 KiB) Viewed 336 times
ag24^0004.jpg
ag24^0004.jpg (58.12 KiB) Viewed 335 times

Return to “Sailing Gear”