Replacement klepper sails

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

grawil

Replacement klepper sails

Post by grawil »

Just curious how difficult it is to find a set of Klepper sails for an older AEII with rotting cotton? Alternatively, I'm good with a sewing machine... are there any plans available?

Thanks,
Graham

Romainpek

Re: Replacement klepper sails

Post by Romainpek »

If you want to try, you can start with the jib which I measured here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1606

Some day, I'll measure the mainsail if you want (I'm right now relocating from China to France, it's not easy to check anything)

bigH

Post by bigH »

Hello I am a new guy,and to sailing, I hope these pics might be of help, I have a bought Waylander folding Kayak with a full sail/spraydeck set, as these boats are almost a replica of the Klepper boats, I think the Wayland sails might be usefull,and cheaper. I hope the pics work. http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq99 ... r15.jpg.be safe.bigH

Romainpek

Post by Romainpek »

I can't see the picture...

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

Here,s a poor scanned photo of one of the Wayland sail outfits. I have no idea if they are ok.
Attachments
WAYLAND SAIL.jpg
WAYLAND SAIL.jpg (29.69 KiB) Viewed 451 times

Echo

Post by Echo »

link from a recent post on another forum, detailed images of Waylands offering.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/ ... e-sail-kit

Alm

Post by Alm »

Wayland mainsail has lower Center of Effort than Klepper S2 rig (though may be not lower than S1), and this is good for monohull sailing - better stability. Plastic insert in the mast collar is a good thing too. Other than that, Klepper rigs (and boats) look much better made.

One more thing - Lateen mainsail of Wayland is easy to make (can be made at home, but at $260 price in Europe I would rather buy), and it is less efficient on upwind courses than classic "Bermuda" mainsail of Klepper. Wayland website is difficult to navigate in any language, I couldn't find the sail size, but from the photos I suspect their Lateen rig is smaller than S2.

Romainpek

Post by Romainpek »

I would also say it looks good and the price is much cheaper than other rigs. But you all must know that the mainsail is not a "latin sail" but a "standing lug sail".

The Klepper rig is not a bermudan, the main is a gunter rig (see the tiny gaff, almost vertical, that projects far above the mast).

Alm

Post by Alm »

Romainpek wrote:I would also say it looks good and the price is much cheaper than other rigs. But you all must know that the mainsail is not a "latin sail" but a "standing lug sail".

The Klepper rig is not a bermudan, the main is a gunter rig (see the tiny gaff, almost vertical, that projects far above the mast).
Ops... I thought it was a lug sail - but Wayland calls it lateen. The difference is in shape - lateen is triangular, and standing lug is rectangular. Both are flat and stay on one side of the mast, so efficiency suffers anyway. Lug is probably less efficient on upwind than lateen, and vice versa on downwind course.

You're right again, Klepper is not a real bermudan, though very close shape due to that almost vertical gaff.

The price... Wayland "lug sail" is $250 (in Europe), S2 is $900 - yes, much more expensive if Wayland sail is same large as S2. S1 costs what - $550? At that point I would rather think of quality (and sail efficiency, and comfort like hoisting/lowering/reefing) than of saving money, you know...

Romainpek

Post by Romainpek »

Ops... I thought it was a lug sail - but Wayland calls it lateen. The difference is in shape - lateen is triangular, and lug is rectangular. Both of them stay on one side of the mast, so efficiency suffers anyway. Lug is probably less efficient on upwind than lateen, because of the loose leading side.
Yes I've seen the "lateen" mistake on Wayland website.

For going against the wind, they both have a problem as they are rather too wide and you need a high peaked sail to sail high upwind. Regarding the "good and bad tack side" problem (as the sail will push against the mast on one tack), probably the "oriental lateen" will be the most in trouble as its shape will really change.

For the standing lug as well as the "modern european lateen", they should be rather OK as only a tiny part of the sail will bear against the mast.

Return to “Sailing Gear”