Sail Rig Set Up

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

LIBob

Sail Rig Set Up

Post by LIBob »

I bought a used folding kayak which came with a sail rig. I believe the kayak is either a folbot or a pouch. The frame is wood, and it came with an abundance of sailing materials, but I don't know how to set them up.

1. Two blue inflatable ama (floats) with a long bar to attach them to. I think I set them up correctly.
2. Mast and boom pieces are aluminum poles that fit together, but I am not sure in which configuration. Some have pulleys, others do not.
3. Sails (2) one sail is labeled LAM SAILS, the other has no label and is of a different material. I am not sure which is the main and which is the jib.
4. I think that the a short pole with the ribbon is the mast top. A yellow hook seems to loosely fit the mast and I think is a boom piece.
5. I am not sure if the mast would be a single mast or a gaff rig and if a gaff rig, how that should be set up.

I think I have attached photos through a url link. Perhaps this is too much to understand via email, but I thought I would ask if anyone recognizes the sails or the way such a rig is set up. Much of it appears to be home-made which is fine if it works.

I think I will be able to understand the sheet set up when I know the mast from the boom pieces. There are several pulleys on various aluminum poles.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Bob Klein

QuattroRexT

Re: Sail Rig Set Up

Post by QuattroRexT »

I see your post was a while back but saw no replies. I assume you got it sorted out?

Alm

Post by Alm »

No replies 'cause it's a mix. Blue amas (floats) are from Folbot, the rest is from somewhere else and some pieces are home-made. Looks like triangular mainsail with jib, and mast hoops on the mainsail are those white plastic cable ties. The tube with a yellow "fork" could be a boom, but this is just a wild guess - it is unusually thick for a boom. Interesting use of cable ties. I carry one in repair kit, now I know one more use for it when my BSD mast hoops fail (happened once). Thanks.

LIBob

Post by LIBob »

Thank you for the reply. IT is kind of weird.
The boat is a folbot so I guess it makes sense the amas are too. I wasn't sure as there were no markings.
I haven't completely figured it out, but think I have managed most of it.
I do appreciate your response.

Thanks

Bob

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

BOB i was replying when your post came on so you don,t need my comments, please assemble the boat and sail so we can see it. By the way the long end of the pontoons are to the front, it seems wrong but thats how they are, i put mine on backwards at first.

Alm

Post by Alm »

Folbot sail rig has no markings, except for the logo on the sail. But those tubes and leeboards don't look like from the Folbot upwind rig - not in the last 10 years for sure. (Blue amas are from the current rig). The logo on the mainsail is by a local Westcoast sailmaker, which is not where Folbot comes from. And, yes - John is right, amas are attached long end to the front - they should form approximately 10 degrees angle to the water.

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

I think Folbot sell their "pontoons" in red, blue and yellow, the ones i have are red apart from the design Folbot don,t have a method to raise them above the water so i sometimes place wood between the coaming (called washboard by Folbot) and the under side of the mounting "tube" this can reduce drag . Your lee boards and it,s mounting board plus the sail mount seem to be home made and there is nothing wrong in this, i,m not sure about the bolt that looks like it goes through the mast. I think some of your photos are a bit too close for us to comment. Here is my Aerius 2 with Folbot outriggers mounted forward the way that Folbot do it, not needed with PA sails, i have been mounting my "Spring Creek" set up further back.
Attachments
RAISING THE FOLBOT PONTOONS.jpg
RAISING THE FOLBOT PONTOONS.jpg (71.27 KiB) Viewed 754 times
klepper rudded turned to hang down.jpg
klepper rudded turned to hang down.jpg (230.98 KiB) Viewed 754 times

LIBob

Post by LIBob »

Wow it looks very nice. I will have to set mine up as best as I can. MAy be a week before I get to it. Thanks so much

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

BOB here is a better photo of how the Folbot "pontoons" are rigged. Further back would be better on a wider part of the coaming, forward is how Folbot do it in their set up. If you put them on "backwards" there is a possibility of them sort of "diving and going under the water" it has never happened to me. I don,t like the design but they do the job.
Attachments
PA folbot out riggers on klepper 004.jpg
PA folbot out riggers on klepper 004.jpg (120.42 KiB) Viewed 737 times

Alm

Post by Alm »

It should''ve crossed my mind earlier - there is a Folbot Super, dating back to 1970s. I am not familiar with this boat or original sail rig for this boat. Here are some photos from the UK that can help http://www.shorebase.co.uk/boating/cano ... toblof.asp . Note that mainsail in the photos is a quadrilateral "Lateen", while yours looks like classic triangular "Bermuda". There was no outrigger on older sail rigs. The previous owner of your boat has bought Folbot amas - shells with bladders only - and made ama consoles of white HDPE, and made the outrigger out of aluminum tubing (I think he used a thicker length than Folbot is using now). I don't know how he attached this outrigger to Super (if your boat is Super), and where. Lateen sail does not perform same well as Bermuda, from what I know (and can't be reefed, which feature I don't like).

Super is a huge boat and paddling something like this solo takes a lot of muscle. I don't know what are rudder arrangements on your boat - a "kayak-style" foot rudder or a "sailboat-style" hand tiller. (The latter would mean that it isn't really a kayak, 'cause to use a kayaking paddle you need both hands and can only steer with your feet). Sailing rig like this, and with outriggers, will add even more pain to paddling when you will have to. Kayaks are not really sailboats, they not perform same well in the same conditions, so you'll have to paddle at some moment. Or get an outboard motor. All this sounds a bit away from a "kayaking" to me. I do sail a kayak sometimes, but my rig is different (not just brand - entire layout is different) and kayak is different too, and can be paddled reasonably well with an outrigger in place. OTH, sailing a wider kayak than K1 is more fun, be it with or without outrigger.

So, if you really want you can buy some cheap canoe paddle for $15 and take the whole thing to where you can sail. After trying it on your lawn, to make sure that nothing is missing or broken.

PS: when I said that amas (or, rather, plastic consoles) should form 10 degrees angle to the water, I meant fore ends pointing up, not down, and it shouldn't have too much "play". In the worst case, they could be parallel to the water.

LIBob

Post by LIBob »

amazing, this link actually looks like the boat.
It is about 17' , wood, folbot, and many of the parts and descriptions match.
It is older and not as nice as the picture, but the skin is in pretty good condition and much lighter than my klepper II skin.
I will try to set it up next week and take it out along with the sail, once I figure out the parts.

Thanks so much again for the link, it will be very useful for comparison

Bob Klein

Return to “Sailing Gear”