BSD Has a New Owner

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Paul
knight of the folding kayak realm

BSD Has a New Owner

Post by Paul »

I read on the Watertribe discussion board that BSD has a new owner. Mark Balogh and the new owner posted on the site confirming this. The goal of the new BSD is to have all standard products available off the shelf (as opposed to built upon request) and deliverable within a week or two. This sounds like good news.
LH Mark I
Nautiraid Grand Raid 540
SOF Greenland Kayak

Alm

Re: BSD Has a New Owner

Post by Alm »

Bad timing for me. A few parts were ready to shipping (according to Mark) earlier this year, and then Mark just disappeared. Now I have to explain it all again to new owners. His management of this business definitely had problems (lost communication is a good example), but what was most valuable (leaving aside the quality and design) was Mark's personal advice in installation, use etc. Not everything can be put in written manuals.

Paul
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by Paul »

Overall it has to be good news. Mark does have lots of knowledge but accessing that knowledge--as you and many others have noted--was not exactly easy. He said he'll be working with the new owner for a while, so you should still be be able to tap into his expertise for some time. I think if you contact the new owner and apprise him of your situation you may get the parts you need faster than you would have otherwise.
LH Mark I
Nautiraid Grand Raid 540
SOF Greenland Kayak

Alm

Post by Alm »

I agree. Getting what they have in a reasonable time with whatever instructions it comes with, and with no additional advice, is better than waiting for years.

And all these rigs, except for occasional custom-made parts, are a sum of their off the shelf parts - there are 4 or 5 types of masts, 4 or 5 sails, 3 kinds of amas (different material) and 1 outrigger bar.

When they sell a complete 36 sq.ft rig with outrigger, this is the same mast, amas, akas and hardware (struts etc) as with 32 sq.ft rig - only sail is different. With 48 sq.ft or 24 sq.ft rig the sail and mast are different from 32sf or 36sf, but amas/akas are the same.

With X sf sail rig for Klepper and X sf sail rig for Folbot only mounting clamps are different and few loose parts are added or taken away from the kit (Folbot needs no struts for aka).

So "building upon request" usually means packing together the right list of parts that should've been be already manufactured and available - sail, mast, amas, aka and hardware. Perhaps sail is the only "part" that doesn't make sense making in numbers and keeping in stock - everything else is either transferable from one rig to another, or sells as spare parts and should be kept in stock anyway.

The problem will arise when some new folder model appears that existing rigs don't fit - then new BSD owner will have to create some new parts if he can. Mark could and he did, I can attest to this.

jorgesgs

Post by jorgesgs »

Hi,

Has anyone confirmed to this date the service of Balogh under new management? I need a sail combo from them shipped to Miami in 2 weeks or less. Can I trust they will be able to do it. Any recent information on the delivery performance of Balogh under the new owner is much appreciated.

Thanks

konta
forum fanatic

Post by konta »

This is great news! I have tried many times to get in touch with BSD to make an order, but have never gotten past step one due to lack of response from them :roll:
-------------------
Fiji
-------------------
Nautiraid Raid I 460
Innova Seawave
Feathercraft Aironaut
-------------------

Alm

Post by Alm »

It's probably too late, - but, Konto, I don't thing complete BSD rig with amas can be made and shipped in 2 weeks. Reports about the new owner are very positive so far, but in 2 weeks you can probably get just some spare parts.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

According to their web site, they have a large number of sails in stock. It's worth a call.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

dtripp710

Post by dtripp710 »

hi: I'm new to the forum and new to folding kayaks as well so hopefully I can get some help with my new endeavor. I just bought a new klepper A Classic II 520, should have it in my hands in about a week. I bought it off ebay for $2700.00. Did I do OK? Came with the rudder and two carbon paddles ($217 each) per the invoice posted on the e-bay sale. The boat was assembled once and never used. I was told that a divorce derailed the kayak plans thus the sale two years latter. I want to sail this klepper and sailing to windward is a must. From what I can tell the BSD set-up is the best in the industry. Can anyone suggest another or is BSD safe to use while they are going through their change over in ownership. I was quoted a price of $1768 for a complete set-up for a 32 batwing and the BOSS. Does this sound like good value. Would my money be better spent on other equipment at this stage? I really want to sail. I'll be taking this klepper to Maui in june. any advise for Maui?
Thanks, Dennis, Proud new member of the folding community!

Alm

Post by Alm »

Can anyone suggest another or is BSD safe to use while they are going through their change over in ownership.
The change has already happened. Klepper is an old model, with respective BSD parts designed long time ago, so there are no surprises.
I was quoted a price of $1768 for a complete set-up for a 32 batwing and the BOSS. Does this sound like good value.
No, if you know any good rig cheaper. I don't.
Would my money be better spent on other equipment at this stage? I really want to sail.
Same answer (or question): better compared to what? I don't see anything closely comparable among small upwind rigs.
I'll be taking this klepper to Maui in june. any advise for Maui?
I wonder how you picture it yourself. Assembling all that jazz in the middle of beach crowd in front of some hotel? South shore of Maui is densely developed. Waterfront campgrounds are rare, if any left at all. Besides, it's not clear whether you will have time to receive, install and test the rig before June. It does require installation, including measuring and drilling.

Return to “Sailing Gear”