anyone tried to build an AII catamaran?

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

bmacfarquhar

anyone tried to build an AII catamaran?

Post by bmacfarquhar »

Through an unforseen twist of fate I've wound up with two Aerius II classic kayaks. One is a 2002 and the other a 90s version. Both are in excellent condition. I am considering selling one, keeping one for spare parts and am entertaining lashing the two togethor for an ultra stable setup.

I have an S4 sail rig and an electric motor with mount.

Has anyone attempted to create a two hull Aerius II S4 sail rig catamaran?

I was thinking of trying oars with zip ties connecting a clamp on leeboard mount to a clamp on motor mount to lash the hulls togethor. I have read that the AII lacks stability when coupled with the full blown S4 rig and is liable to capsize from a gust of wind. Outriggers are one solution but perhaps lashing my two hulls togethor would be even better. I could have one cockpit set up for comfort (for passengers) and the other to control the sails. I wonder if the cockpit coamings are strong enough to endure the forces incurred by sailing a catamaran AII setup. Perhaps mountings should be extended to the ribs or floors.

Would one S4 rig push two hulls along well enough?

I am just beginning to ponder this idea and would welcome any insight or other ideas.

Some experimentation is in order...

Alm

Re: anyone tried to build an AII catamaran?

Post by Alm »

Through an unforseen twist of fate I've wound up with two Aerius II classic kayaks. One is a 2002 and the other a 90s version. Both are in excellent condition. I am considering selling one, keeping one for spare parts
Looks like a good idea. Though, I would try and move the second boat on Ebay in its entirety - parts on the 90s version are not that new, and you can get new parts from Longhaul at reasonable rates when you need them, which might be years and years from now.
Would one S4 rig push two hulls along well enough?
Did you try sailing it with one hull already?

cline

Re: anyone tried to build an AII catamaran?

Post by cline »

Your other thread has all the answers. :mrgreen:

Return to “Sailing Gear”