Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:53 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I absolutely agree with you on the last statement Alex, Dave and Patti and excellent folks. Nice to see you back here again by the way. I got my MK1 this summer and had some fun sailing it with the KS. Let me know if you'd like to try and get together for a sail sometime. I'd like to put some more time in with the KS and MK1.

I also picked up a Balogh 36HP with a special mount from Mark at Long Haul for the BOSS outrigger. The mount allows me to swap the BSD rig from boat to boat pretty easily, and since it sits up at the bow, paddling from the stern and maybe the center isn't an issue. The real trick though is to be able to break the outrigger down while out on the water, stow that and the sailing gear, and paddle normally. I'm working on that.

I had pretty good luck using the Klepper leeboards with the Kayaksailer as well. It was hard to tell with my short test, but it seemed to hold a better upwind course than using the standard KS leeboards.

I've actually been having a little fantasy about the Kayaksailer lately... it's such a lovely, simple, efficient sail..., and my Klepper/Long Haul boats have a beautiful mast hole right at the front of the cockpit. I would love to be able to have the 1.6 sail connected to a simple mast that fits that hole. Drop it in, pull it up, and off you go. There are a couple things to work out, but I just dig the idea of being able to pull the sail out of the partner when done, roll it up and slide it into a deck mounted bag or one of the paddle holders. There's no reason why the Leeboards couldn't be streamlined as well with a small cross bar like the Klepper, doubling as a mini control board. Kind of similar to what Flat Earth is doing but with the KS 1.6... or maybe a 2.0? As much as I love the KS, the mounting rig gets a little big on the single Long Haul/Klepper cockpit. Patti... are you listening. :D

Again, nice to see you back Alex.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP