Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:05 am 
faltbootemeister

gbellware wrote:
Thanks, great pic. That looks like quite a lot of sail on your kayak, are you able to handle in high winds? I have the 1.6 m2 on my Klepper, but I have a 34" beam and (almost) no chance of going over. Thanks for your contributions.
g

Sails looks a bit bigger in relation to the kayak than it actually is due to the angle of the photo. The Nautiraid measurements is length 18'04", beam 20"5. So fairly long and narrow. Remains to be seen how it works in high winds, that day it was only about 5-7m/s. With drysuit and neoprene hoodie/gloves/bots, I'm not too worried of pushing the envelope a bit , have yet to take an unplanned swim with the Kayaksailor rig though. But for a multi-day trip were I wanted to cover large distances under sail without having to stay vigilant at all times, outriggers would probably be a good idea.

Blog: jarladventures.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:24 pm 
forum fan

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd reach into the conversation. (No pun intended)

I'm all about pushing the envelope, but the thought of paddle-sailing with a 1.6m² on a boat with a beam of 20.5" is making my palms sweat.

:wink:

Patti

2 Pakboats XT 15s
Self built West Greenland style SOF
Self built Polar Greenland style SOF
CD Squamish
Necky Eskia
WS Tarpon 140
OK Prowler Trident 15
Tahe Reval Mini TGC lite
Tahe Ocean Spirit TCI lite

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:08 pm 
forum fanatic

Using the kayaksailor with the klepper tripoint adapter on a LH  M2

First the good news, the kayaksailor 1.6 with jib is a marvelous design.  Gerald's adapter makes it  easy to attach and control, and it works well.  Even has the jib cleats built in.  When down it is not in the way.  My problem is that it does not leave the forward paddler enough room to paddle and sail simultaneously when the sails are up.   It is too far back.  The alternative,  strapping the rig around the bow, is just too clumsy given the elegant esthetics of both the boat and the sail rig.  Any ideas?

Alex
Long Haul Mark 2

Eddyline whisper
Stellar ST 17
Kayaksailor 1.6

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:16 am 
faltbootemeister

Alex wrote:
 My problem is that it does not leave the forward paddler enough room to paddle and sail simultaneously when the sails are up.   It is too far back.  The alternative,  strapping the rig around the bow, is just too clumsy given the elegant esthetics of both the boat and the sail rig.  Any ideas?

Well if you want the sail up, I'd assume there's at least some wind. And you'd like to paddle to increase speed a bit / tack through wind?

I'd say, just leave it as is and be happy with it. Let the front paddler rest and control the sail, while the back paddler gets some extra exercise :)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:07 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

AS MoeJoe says leave well enough alone. But you could mount the sail further forward with a longer length of 1x1 square tube. I havn,t seen the Klepper America mount but you would have to remove the sail unit from the part that goes to the Klepper mast "hole' attach the new length of tube to it and then attach the front to the Klepper "nose" piece, ( i do this with my Folbot Yukon). When you have this new piece of square tube fitted you can then mount the Kayak sailor sail unit on top of the new piece of square tube moving it further forward so the front kayaker can reach it when lowering the sail and deploying it, remember to have your "hold downs" to the bottom of the cross tube. You will have to drill through the kayak sailor sail mount, towards the back there is no problem, at the front drill through the mount JUST behind the black piece of plastic that seals the end, you will need to file a flat on a washer for under the nut you will use here, when you bolt the unit on this washer put the bolts clamping force on the sides of the sail mount and dosn,t allow the the nut to depress the middle of the square tube. It will take a little thought about what you are doing. Now i have NO idea about how this forward sail will affect the sailing of your Klepper.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:45 pm 
forum fanatic

Thanks for great picture, I'll give it a try. The problem with the advice that I just enjoy the ride and let the rear paddler do the work is that she is my wife. I tried it and it did not go over so well. :D

Eddyline whisper
Stellar ST 17
Kayaksailor 1.6

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:11 am 
faltbootemeister

Alex wrote:
Thanks for great picture, I'll give it a try. The problem with the advice that I just enjoy the ride and let the rear paddler do the work is that she is my wife. I tried it and it did not go over so well. :D

Haha, ok fair enough, when I'm in a K2 with the lady she's always in the front seat, sometimes resting and taking pictures, so I just assumed.. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:29 am 
recent arrival

Hello. Very interesting posts here!
Using kayakSailor kit with my gumotex inflatable kayak ( sunny double seater) is a very exciting experience. I am thinking to buy a folding kayak ( http://translate.google.gr/translate?hl=el&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.arts-outdoors.de%2FShop%2Fproducts%2Fde%2FBootssport%2FFaltboote%2FTriton-2er-Faltkajak-Ladoga-II-advanced-Modell-2011.html) with 5.93 x 73. It seams pretty long for use the sail and paddle at the same time. Will it be stable with side wind? :?: :?: 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:40 pm 

It is long and narrow... I can't tell if the boat has sponsons of not. If it does I'd think the kayak sailor would work. If not, the length may allow it to roll over pretty easy. Probably the best thing to do would be to contact the folks at KS and ask them. They may have clients that are using the sail on a Triton and/or similar boat.

With two people for bracing, you could probably handle it with a bit of excitement thrown in.

Good luck, I like the looks of those Ladoga boats.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:12 pm 
faltbootemeister

We used our 1.6 with Genoa two Friday abd loved it on our LHMK2. For our first time in liw winds we had no trouble tacking and jibing anywhere we wanted to go. It sound cool when you tack and the mainsail move over to the other side and the battons snap into their airfoil shape. We really enjoyed our first sail. Hope we get stronger wind next time out.

Advanced Elements Convertible
2015 Windrider 17 white w/white & black sails

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:49 am 

Really good news. You have a extremly good outfit both the boat and sail were made by dedicated people who take an interest in their customers and prospective customers. Your sail was thought out and designed to perform and it does. I have had numerous e-mails from David who designed the sail and you should see the amount of work he put into just the lee board to get it just right. I have made a longer lee board for my Klepper and David gave me some good advice. I hope to see photo,s of your rig on the Kayaksailor web site soon. It,s reached the point where there should be a forum dedicated to the Kayaksailor sailing system.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:29 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Good stuff, Frank, post some pics if you can.

So how did the sail workout with front "paddler"? Did he/she have to duck on jibe/tack? So far I have only sailed mine solo.

Greg

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:41 pm 
faltbootemeister

New at posting videos so here goes: http://vimeo.com/67066970

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:59 pm 
faltbootemeister

Greg my wife had no problem with the boom passing in front of her tacking, however, as you see in the video, her paddle is in 2 pieces stored in the webbing on the bow. I'm going to try to reverse the leeboard attachment rods into the cross bar to lower the leeboard control rods so they are more out of the way. The operation will be reversed to raise and lower them but we rwally only kept the leeboards in their full down position. Dave commented on this when usint the Genoa the center of work requires the leeboards to be verticle.
I can't wait for more wind.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:06 pm 
forum fanatic

The Kayaksailor rig has two important advantages over other sail rigs. It can be deployed or taken down instantly while on the run and it spills gusts so you do not need outriggers. This means you maintain spontaneity. It comes down to not having to decide ahead of time to you want to paddle or sail. The disadvantages are a relatively small sail area, and at least in a folder, which is my only experience (LH Mk2,) it does not point all that well. They are great on a run or broad reach but on a beat paddling is easier. So it is a tradeoff between flexabity and ultimate sailing. With the Kayaksailor you are not giving up you kayak for a mediocre sailboat. The Balogh is probably a better sailor but is not great to paddle when the almas are attached. Oh and Kiva has the nicest and most helpful people I have ever dealt with. While much of what I have said is controversial and my own opinion, no one on this forum would disagree with the last statement.

Eddyline whisper
Stellar ST 17
Kayaksailor 1.6

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next