Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:31 pm 
Hi - I recently bought a second hand Aerius II with a sailing rig. The boat has a rubber hull and the sailing rig, while made of aluminium and not wood, is probably of the same era. I assume this is the S4 (and not the more modern rig for a double, the S2)

Anyway the long and short of it is that I have no instructions on how to set it up and wonder if there is somebody out there who can help with a scanned copy of the original instructions or (failing that) advice.

I have Ralph Diaz's book and have downloaded the German instructions from the Klepper site, but since I don't speak German....

Help!

Scott

PS I'm posting this in the sailing and the Klepper sections.

Post subject: sailing gear
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:45 pm 
I am in the same boat :)
Don't have instruction but blelive I have the same sail as you. (aluminum mast)

Any luck yet?
Let me know if you find anything

Thansk

rainer

ravenjx@aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:03 pm 
Scottg wrote:
I have Ralph Diaz's book and have downloaded the German instructions from the Klepper site, but since I don't speak German....

Have you tried http://www.google.ca/language_tools?hl=en ? There are 2 options: either copy-paste German text into text window, or copy-paste German web address into web-address window. Results are sometimes pain to understand, but better than nothing.

Post subject: Who needs the manual!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:49 pm 
Haven't tried the translator thing but thanks for the tip.

I did find out how to put up the sail though: I took it to a busy harbour (Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight) and started gormlessly fiddling with the mast. Immediately two blokes appeared and, being competent sailors, had the thing up in minutes. One of them was then so excited at the thought of seeing my girlfriend and I tipped into the sea that he left his family in the nearest pub and followed us out in a rowing boat, bellowing commands at us. He was amazed at how efficient the sail was and how stable the kayak!

The moral of the story is: the Klepper S4 only looks complicated if you know squit about sailing - so find someone who does.

cheers all,

Post subject: Sailing rig
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:45 am 
Has anyone tried Klepper USA? http://www.klepperusa.com Cantact Jason, he's very helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:18 pm 
Hi,

I've got the English instructions, if someone needs them, I can scan them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:47 am 
I finally scanned the instructions for the Klepper S4 rig and put them in my brand new foldingkayak.org album.

The rig was bought new in september 2007, so it might be different from your version

new link:

http://foldingkayaks.org/gallery2/main. ... temId=8725

Last edited by Romainpek on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:31 pm 
Romainpek wrote:
http://foldingkayaks.org/gallery/album135

The link to the S4 sail rig instructions no longer works...

Anyone can show me the link to the German instructions? I no longer seem to be able to find it... At this point, anything helps. I am willing to get a dictionary and crack the words one by one :)

I recently acquired a used sail (looks like S4) for Aerius-II, but I don't know if I am missing any parts, nor knowing the correct way to set it up. Appreciate any tips!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:45 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

In the photo gallery (the column on the left) there are instructions in the file by Romain Berard, this might help, although putting up the sail without instuctions is not really difficult. You soon learn there are a few steps to take before putting on the top part of the mast . There have been a few minor changes. I will scan the latest instrutions i have. Just checked the instructions i have and they are the same as Romain Berard,s so it is here. It says the mast is in three pieces and the one you have is probably in two pieces which is ok, also in these instructions it shows a line called a main sheet going to a block near the middle of the boom, you may not have this so attach a line (called a sheet) to the end of the boom, you let the sail out and pull it in with this line, also to attach the sail to the mast you can use shower cutain rings which must pass through the grommets in the sail or buy the ones klepper now use which appear to be made of stainless steel, a klepper dealer will be able to get these for you. Note the hull is narrow when you attach sails and the lee boards do almost nothing to keep you from going over so an "outrigger" set up is a very good idea. Examples can be seen in the photo gallery, even "outriggers" may not stop you from going over if the wind is strong enough. This is my Lateen sail with spring creek "outriggers", i am not saying these are the best.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:00 pm 

Hi John, what a nice sail rig. Any more pictures?

Question: why the double pontoons on the outriggers?

GoJian, I have the PDF with the sail instruction if you can't find the one here in the forum. I can email it to you if you like.
Let me know.

Dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:02 pm 

Scott have the copy from Dennis, paper instructions can be kept for future referance. One point is the lee boards, the "best" location for the cross bar is 8 to 10 behind the mast, you may have to add more slots inboard of the existing ones to achieve this position, one each side. just holes would work but i find slots more convenient. Even current Klepper adds on many occasions show the lee boards too far back. Now my Lateen sail, it is 47 sq ft and was made by DABBLER SAILS in the US, i can recommend the quality and service plus a very reasonable price for a custom sail, it may only be a triangle but the work done is excellent, one thing you have to provide is your own mast and spars/booms, a question asked before the sail is made is how much does the spar deflect i was told how to find out and this deflection was put into the sail. Now my outriggers, these are by Spring Creek and they made me (and another member of the forum, he asked for them) extra long arms out of tube with thicker walls than their standard arms so sometimes i use pontoons on the shorter and longer arms at the same time to give extra buoyancy if i think i might need it. So far i have only sailed without the bottom spar then i had a line to the bow, this year i will add the bottom spar and attach it to the mast with a "slide" then i dont think the sail is attached to the bow but allowed to pivot around the mast, a line to my hand cotrolling it. If i am wrong will someone with knowledge correct me. The pontoons can be set at differen hights so reducing drag.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:47 pm 

Really pretty picture John. Thanks.

No lee boards?

Dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:53 am 
Thank you so much, guys! It is illuminating seeing pictures of assembled boats.

Thanks John! Oh Dennis, is there any way that you can post the scanned instructions somewhere so that folks like me can have access to it reading the forum? I indeed spent much time looking for it on the web without success...

Dennis, I think your setup is very similar to mine with the lee boards. I will upload a picture of mine soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:17 am 

GoJian,

I'm not sure where or how to post a PDF for viewing. I will however send you a copy right now.

Dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:15 am 
Dennis, nice pictures! Do you happen to have a picture of the upper sail? I wonder how the upper portion of the main sail is attached to the mast. I have the hook-like support like yours on the main sail. However, my mast is only limited in height. How is this supposed to work? How do you connect the ropes at the very top of the sail?

Thanks a lot!