Home made outrigger

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: Home made outrigger

Post by DLee »

Good question John. In populated areas where most of us paddle I think it's important to have a chart, a compass and a whistle or horn. Radar is quite handy but not too practical on the kayak, well maybe an AII. Ha.

Whether you have a chart or not it's really important to get a good bearing on where you are and where you need to go when you see the fog forming or rolling in. Get a compass reading, consider how wind and current can affect your course and get going. The compass bearing is obviously most important because it's all you may have if you get socked in. Knowing your boat and paddling skills come in handy now as you'll want to keep a close eye on how your boat is behaving while you follow that compass. If you're constantly having to correct one way or the other you may be getting pushed by current or wind and might want to adjust your course in a best guesstimate accordingly.

As a kayaker I sometimes get a little lazy in doing my homework before I go out. I don't necessarily watch the tide and I don't always have a chart for the local area. Of course listening to the weather is really important before any trip but I've been known to skip that as well. Aids to Navigation (ATONs); buoys, cans, towers lighthouses and such are all listed on charts with a color, number, and if they are lit; the flashing pattern of the light, and if they make a sound, the length and frequency (in timing of that sound). Not too many make sounds though. A buoy can tell you a lot, not only where you are if you have a chart, but it can tell you which way the current is going and how strong it is. Any stationary object in the water can show you the current - this a handy tool to remember. Handy for fishing, docking and sometimes getting home a little easier - but it will definitely give you an idea of how your course on the compass can be affected if you're traveling strictly by compass.

All traffic should slow way down in fog but in an area with traffic you would probably want to slow down yourself and keep a sharp ear for any vessel traffic around you. Blow your whistle for at least three seconds at least once a minute.

I can't remember using my GPS in the fog but I have some great memories of dead-reckoning some pretty long distances in a moderate fog from buoy to buoy on Long Island Sound with my Whaler.

I guess that modern day GPS units are pretty great. But when I drove a ferry, the first thing that went out when the weather got real snotty or foggy was the GPS. The mighty compass never died! Ha. Fortunately neither did the radar.

John, you probably don't have charts, ATONs or current. I'd say that if weather looks like it might be changing keep an eye on the direction home and get ready to head that way if you see fog shaping up. I love being out on the water in fog if the circumstances are right. Drop anchor, relax, and maybe catch a fish.

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

DLee
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by DLee »

Matt, I didn't see the comment above your picture in that last post - about the figure nine hooks. That is a great idea. I'll be thinking about that.

Frank, I had my Hobie's out in a pretty stiff wind with my T9 and KS which will roll over if you just think about it. I was really impressed with how it did. I agree the Amas shape isn't totally confidence inspiring, but I never had one even come close to flipping around or going under in a pretty decent chop. I used mine in the up position so that I could practice sailing as much as possible without them in the water. Just like training wheels. I was impressed - so much so that I took them off for my next outing and tried those sponsons. The Sidekick almost seemed to safe. Ha.

I'd love to see a pic of your SK mounted on the KS.

Got pretty jammed up with work this week. Will let you know when there's any news on the lee boards.

d
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

FrankP

Post by FrankP »

Dennis I wish I had seen this post before Sunday. I would have taken a picture. We might go out in the late afternoon tomorrow in 12-14 MPH wind but I have work to do in the morning. I will try to remember taking a picture then. However, all I did was drill 4 holes in the Klepper America mount for the clamps. I spaced them as far as I could to the edge but I wanted to make sure they were far in enough so the stress would not make the screws rip out. The holes are 3/8 in. and I placed them so the center bar would be touching the horizontal square bar that holds the mast. It's close to the goal posts and just ahead of the knobs with the J hooks for the coaming. The whole mount & crossbar still fits in the "very cool packing bag". I can't help it I love the way Patti says that in her video.

Return to “Sailing Gear”